Cannot Get Cowl Off Merc 60 HP

I cannot unlatch the cowl on my Mercury 60HP 4 Stroke 1C025656. The latch handle turns freely in both directions, but the catch is not moving. Any suggestions?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Did you try pushing IN and/or pulling OUT on the latch handle while turning it?

Sounds like the retaining bolt inside the cowling is loose, or the arm has stripped on the inside-end (challenging to get apart).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Yes, I Have Pushed, Pulled, Pressed, Yanked. I taped up the cowl then slipped a hacksaw blade between the upper and lower cowls in an attempt to move the cam. I also tried a coat hanger. No luck. Oh!, for the want of some thread locker when that was assembled.
    Last edited by Cheeseman; 09-14-2020 at 05:27 PM.

4. Member
    Got it off. Used a coat hanger, but attaked it from the side. No thread locker on the bolt. This allowed it to back off even with the compression washers that Mercury thought would lock it in place. Back together with Blue Locktite.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good job. That latch is a real "booger" to get released without the handle.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor