Down riggers on a 181.

Hello there everyone. I知 thinking of getting back into trolling for salmon and striper out here like I used to do before in my last boat. I知 wondering if anyone has installed down riggers on their bass boat that would be willing to post some pics or if anyone might have some ideas on installing some. I知 going to be installing 2 cannon 5 st magnums on swivel bases and I would like to get them elevated so they are easier to use without bending over. I知 trying to come up with a plan that utilizes the ski triangle that my boat came with when I bought it. Should anyone have any info please share, other than get a different boat. Hahaaaaa thanks a million guys and gals , tight lines and God bless

2. Member
    I took a 2x6 and 2 2x12's. Cut the 2x12 into 2 pieces , about a foot, foot and a half long. the 2x6 is cut to match the width of the boat at the back cleats. Mounted the 2x6 horizontally on the vertical 2x12's remembering to mount the 2x6 offset ( flush with one side of the 2x12 the other end sticking out ), 2 metal turnbuckles , drilled a hole on the outside of the upright 2x12's at a slight angle, installed a eyelet with a shank long enough to stick up through the 2x6 a inch or so after a nut(nylocker) , flatwasher ( on both sides of the board) and cranked it down until it bit into that 2x6. One hook of a turnbuckle is through the eyelet underneath the 2x6 the other hook through the center of the cleat and tighten down . Make sure when you put the board on that the end of the 2x12 that is not flush with the 2x6 and sticks out faces the back of the boat. This makes sure that if you get a double hit it won't allow the board to flop backwards towards the boat. It's a leverage deal. I will try to remember to get a picture emailed to you on the email on your profile as I can never get a photo to load up on here properly.

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply, I have done a ton of research and I’ll be mounting them via gunnel rocket launchers with gimbal mounts. The gunnel mounts will have caps on them to keep any thing out while the riggers aren’t being used and they won’t be anything that is in the way of normal bass boat fishing so to speak. They will actually be barely noticeable. I’m taking my gimbal mts down to my local machine shop to have 2 ft of length added to them so I won’t have to bend way over in order to use them. Should anyone want pics once I’m done shoot me a pm and I will be happy to send pics. Like so many others, I don’t post pics here