9/12/20 fishing report

Me and my friend were able to get on the water about 6am plenty early now with sunrise at 6:58am. We were at a small Electric only lake that we have had some good luck at lately. The first thing we noticed was the lake is still about 2ft low evan after 2/3” of rain this passed week. Water temp was 63/64* (really cooled down fast!!) we thought we would go back the back end were we have had the best luck the last few times we have been at this lake, I started with top water (spook, buzz bait, 130wp) my friend throw a spinner bait, we had zero bites for about 1 & 1/2hr we could see some bass moving on top but just never got any bites. Finally my buddy got a 12” bass on a rattle trap. We made a move to a deep point Were there’s a bunch a x-trees on the bottom I got 2 bites probably blue gills on a 1/4 shacky head with a crawl bait. Next move was back around the boat ramp i could see fish on the graft so we tried chatter bait, sq-bills,worms, traps, blade baits, jerk baits, etc but not bites!! By now it is 10am and we are wondering what to do now Lol. We go back to wear we started and I throw my shakey head in about 4ft of water and find a grass clump (lake doesn’t have much grass) I feel a pull and set the hook on a nice 3lb sweet, cast back boom 2 1/2lb at the same time my buddy is fishing a chatter bait like a jig on the bottom and he gets bit after pulling through some grass to. So he casts back a boom 2lb again. Hmm I think there relating to some sort of structure, we know were there’s some bigger branches in this flat in about 5ft of water (we got snagged up in them lots of other times so I’ve got them way pointed good) I make 2 casts on them and 2 16” bass come to the boat. Next small brush pile buddy gets 2 bass out. It is now 11:30 and we are having fun now. I wanted to make a move to a road bed that goes a crossed the lake that I’ve got a few fish on in the passed it is 10’ on top of the road so we didn’t know if they were that deep. I throw a 6xd & grind the bottom as I follow the road a cross, nothing happens. Switch to a 3/4oz wobble head with a biffel bug (green brown looking bug) make few cast right on top of the road I feel the gravel really good, I’m just dragging it really slow not hopping just dragging, I feel a fish grab it I set the hook, man get the net this one’s got some size to it. It was a 4.72lb. We were happy for sure. We ended up getting a few more off the grass clumps and brush,no more on the road bed. It was a fun day on the water I’ll put a picture of my friend holding the big bass I caught and one of me with the 2lb.

2. Member
    Dang, is it already that cold up there?

3. Member
    Last week the lows were in the 40’s & the highs in the 60’s I believe. Not much sun and lots of rain, really dropped the water temps. Now this week looks like a awesome week & weekend. I hope we get some good weather and can in joy the fall season before winter.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Really good job of trying different areas and patterns until you hit the jack pot. I'd probably have thrown in the towel and gone home.

5. Member
    Thanks tcesni. I really love bass fishing and have just got back into it about 4yr ago. This year seems I’ve gotten some experience and am thinking better (more like a bass lol). My good friend (fishing partner) will just set in one spot all day if I would let him but if I don’t get any bites I’m moving to try and find Active (biger biting bass).... one time we were getting bass in the boat even cast in the spring at this one spot but they were 12”er. I told him heck with this we need to move this lakes got 5lb in it we need to move and find them lol. We ran all over that lake and never got another bite. We laughed the hole day on that deal he won’t let me forget that one... But yesterday it was my call to try that road bed and it paid ofF with a nice almost 5lb. It is so much fun when things go right.

does anybody else have a report from this passed weekend?