Lower unit noise

I replaced my prop shaft and haven’t filled the lower unit with oil yet. My concern is that I spin the prop by hand when it’s in neutral and it spins freely. Awesome! I put it in forward Gear after spinning the prop in neural and try to turn the prop. The prop will turn about 1/2” inch and make a ratchet noise like it just locked into place. It will do this in reverse as well. Is this a normal thing or something gone wrong in my prop shaft replacement. It doesn’t make the ratchet noise every time. Weird.

2. Member
    It might be normal, especially without fluid in it. I'd probably ask a mechanic first or on the Suzuki FB page. BTW, how long did you have to wait to get your new prop shaft? I've been waiting for 3 weeks now, but I'm gonna keep running it since it's only bent .005" and not run it full throttle.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    Could be normal, you are supposed to rotate the input shaft by some means when putting in gear. A gear dog (shifter) needs some movement on about 33% of it's placement to engage at times.

4. Member
    Talked to dealer and this noise is normal. Back on the water and running great

5. Member
    About 10 days to get it from Browns Point Marine