St Clair kicked ours butts today.

Started out in some pretty rough water early went from north anchor bay to just south of metro park and blanked. After filling the bottom of the boat with water from spiking waves we headed into north channel tried drifting 25-30 ft of water with tubes , drop shot, Ned rig and blanked. The lake calmed down so we headed to about a mile west of Anderson Marine point and landed about a ten pound drum. I didn't see anyone setting the hook until a pro in a power pole sponsored rig preceded to use his live scope and school all of us by catching about five smallies in ten minutes . He was chucking and winding eith a narrow crankbait of a blade bait but he was smokin it. Anyway , we gave up on the brown one and targeted green ones and ended up getting five or six pretty small ones. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

North and NE winds are tough.

Not sure where “Anderson Marine point”is?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

3. Member
    Well Sunday morning was a little better to start the day . The wind shifted coming directly from the south . We started in 13 feet of water and was hit by a 10 pound Northern fun but now what we wanted . We had one jump on a crank bait but it was green and not Brown. We moved to another spot and tried drifting with no luck. Then the wind picked up big time and the boat again was getting filled up with water so we moved into the North Channel . We ran into about 20 bass hitting seawalls and drifting tubes and drop shot in 25-30 ft of water in front of Deckers and east about half a mile but again all of them were green not brown. I'm feeling pretty bad about my smallmouth catching abilities on St. Clair 2 1/2 days on St Clair and not one smallmouth landed , that has to be a horrible record. I'm not going to give up though. I'm going to drive up from Illinois next weekend and do my best to figure out how to fish open water for smallmouth.

4. Member
    Sorry to hear you didn't get on the smallmouth. This time of year can be a tough bite. Keep in mind that the wind becomes a factor the further into the fall we get, so you might want to double check the weather before heading back up. I don't think we are going to see to many "light and variable" wind days between now and when the lake freezes.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Sorry to hear you didn't get on the smallmouth. This time of year can be a tough bite. Keep in mind that the wind becomes a factor the further into the fall we get, so you might want to double check the weather before heading back up. I don't think we are going to see to many "light and variable" wind days between now and when the lake freezes.
    Shhhhh....the wind has been terrible. I'm still hoping for the last week of Sept or first week in Oct we get 2-3 day break. It's been nasty the last few weeks. Just need things to settle down.