New to Flourocarbon

Switching to Fluorocarbon on my spinning reels. Never used it. What knot is recommended for tying to lures and also for tying to reel? I’ve heard the wrong knot can cause a lot of line breaking??
    thanks in advance for the help.

2. Member
    The best knot is knot to use it.
    Unless your using it with a mono or braid leader I would knot use it strictly on a spinning reel.
    It is knot what i recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by champy View Post
    The best knot is knot to use it.
    Unless your using it with a mono or braid leader I would knot use it strictly on a spinning reel.
    It is knot what i recommend.
    Well said, champy! Nothing wrong with copolymer on a spinning reel, but braid is bestest!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

4. Member
    There are pluses and minuses to using straight fluoro. That being said, in terms of knots, the only know I avoid is he palomar. I heard a while back that it puts too much stress on a small point of the fluoro. I have not tested this so have no idea if this is objectively true but there you go. I go with the uni knot or improved clinch or the fukae knot for tying to leaders.
    Last edited by johnnybass; 09-13-2020 at 10:26 PM.

I tie palomars in fluoro all the time without issue. The problem becomes when you get a twist in it when tying it as that can cause it to burn. Otherwise, I think the biggest problem people have breaking off with fluoro is cranking on their knots as hard as they can after tying them. Fluoro will fracture when it's stretched too far, and doing that to your knot fractures the line in the place where it's receiving the most stress, right in the middle of the knot you're yanking on. Wet it well, cinch it down only enough to seat your knot, leave a little longer tag (I personally think people are well served to do this on all knots...what do the fish care if you have a 1/4" tag instead of 1/32"? I think lots of breakoffs occur when a knot slips just a bit and there's no tag as a safety net), and definitely don't pull on it as hard as you can.

That said, I agree with the above who said straight fluoro on a spinning reel sucks. If you limit it to 6, maybe 8 lb test, you can probably deal with it. Even then it's a pain in the butt as it just has more memory compared to mono and especially compared to braid. Braid to a leader is the way to go on a spinning reel in my opinion. Cast it further, line lasts forever, it doesn't have any memory and doesn't get twisted up, you can change line sizes by only changing out the leader, use high vis colors so you can line watch much more easily, etc. Tie a long leader if you want it to act more like straight fluoro.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Member
    Thanks all for the replies. I ended up restringing with mono for my trip I’m heading on tomorrow for a week. I’ll rethink this later after these responses.

7. Member
    I used the Palomar knot for years then started using Fluoro and consistently had line break when tying baits on. Then I found "The Shaw Grigsby Knot"! Its not his design but he has a video while at a Classic that describes how to tie it. Been using this knot for a few years for everything now and never had a breakoff due to knot failure.

8. Banned
    ive read several strength tests on knots with various types of line,, floro included. Each and every time the palomar keeps coming out on top.

9. Member
    the Palomar knot with plenty of spit to lubricate or a double uni knot
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

10. Member
    We use the palomar and rarely break at the knot. Like was mentioned earlier wet the line and leave a bit of a tag without cinching it down too tight and it's been fine.

My kids like the San Diego Jam Knot and tie that without any issues as well. I prefer the palomar , simple and effective.

11. Moderator
    Palomar works for me. Just don't crank down on the knot when tying and you'll be all set.

12. Member
    There is no doubt that fluorocarbon line is more problematic than braid or even a regular nylon mono filament line, on spinning gear. I certainly won't debate that, but while I can't be 100% certain, my guess is that the majority of people that hate straight fluorocarbon on spinning gear is due to the specific line they're using, and the size reel they're using it on.

There are some fluorocarbon lines that handle very well on spinning gear. Seaguar Tatsu being IMO the best of the bunch. You can't take lines like Seaguar Red Label or Sunline Shooter and expect them to handle well on spinning gear. They're just too stiff. Secondly, spool diameter is huge when it comes to how fluorocarbon line handles on a spinning reel. The larger the spool diameter, the better fluorocarbon line will handle. I use 8# - 10# Tatsu on 3000 series Shimano spinning reels. And other than on my drop shot rod, I have zero problems related to the line being fluorocarbon line. Drop shot is a different story.

Still I can't bring myself to use braid on spinning gear. When I use spinning gear I am using the lightest weight I can possibly use, and still get the job done. Braid floats or at best takes a long time to sink, and at least IMO, offers pretty much zero feel with light weight baits. Also wind and current affect braid far more than they do smoother more dense and heavier lines. If I were using heavier weights on spinning gear I could probably stand to obtrusive noise it makes going through the guides, and use braid on spinning gear. But I don't, so I won't. Plus I don't have to worry about tying on leaders and their associated knots passing through guides of any size.

Oh and I use a Uni knot to tie directly to the bait. Or a Palomar knot when using a drop shot. No problems with either of them breaking. Just be sure to do as others have said and wet the line well, and leave a little longer tag end. I wouldn't go as far as leaving a 1/4" tag, but nothing wrong with an 1/8" or slightly less.

13. Member
    I use braid to flouro leader on my spinning setups. I lost a tournament once due to tying the Palomar knot. Several good jigs bites and the line broke on the hook set. I researched and found the Eugene knot. It is simple to tie and is very strong.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limitlong View Post
    I use braid to flouro leader on my spinning setups. I lost a tournament once due to tying the Palomar knot. Several good jigs bites and the line broke on the hook set. I researched and found the Eugene knot. It is simple to tie and is very strong.
    I totally agree with you. I use the Eugene knot on all my flouro to lures.

15. Dogfish_Jones
    Nothing wrong with using mono line. I just one of those guys who stil thinks monofilament line is very good line. I have never really had a problem with it. E t may n says we, t may not do this or that as well as the other types but overall.....monofilament is a great overall line for everything
    I will say I do have 50lb braid on some of my jigs and frog/rats fishing but the rest of my reels are monofilament.

16. Member
    Trilene 100% Floro with a Trilene knot works fine for me on a spinning reel.