2002 Yamaha 9.9 ?

Hello, I'm considering buying a 16' alum boat with the above engine, it is an electric start model.

I know nothing about this eng. can anyone help educate me the pro's, con's and just things I need to know ?

Has not run since 2007, looks like new, I pulled plugs.... looked reasonable, sprayed some light oil in cyl. and moved the flywheel slow ish a few turns.

Hit the start a few, plugs back in and fuel pumped hard and attempted to start it up, turned it over 7 or 8 times and stopped but it started to fire, hit start again and she fired up and seemed to run ok !

We had muffs on and let it run about 4 mins, shut off, then hit start again and instantly fired

Seems all good for what it is, plan to replace H20 pump, just because, also normal fluids, etc.

Appreciate any info and advice

Thanks

Dave

2. Member
    2nd request please

3. Member
    Everything normally needed to be known is in the owner's manual. Start there please.

4. Member
    Thanks for replying

No manual on a used boat here, I saw one on the internet and looked it over but that does not give me any real world info that I seek from people that owns this engine.

Thanks though
    Last edited by dmdracer; 09-14-2020 at 07:34 AM. Reason: left out "not"

5. Member
    I don’t know if the 9.9 of that era had this issue, but I believe the 8 hp had a nut on the shift linkage that would come loose and fall down the drive shaft housing. Check it and add some loktite or a nylock nut. The high thrust 9.9 is probably the leading choice of Pacific Northwest salmon fishermen for a trolling motor.

6. Member
    Fishnhams, I appreciate your reply. thank you.

Last night I was told that this boat will not be available so disregard this post