Thread: Caracal?

Caracal?

Ok so I’m the one in Canada inquiring about the 203 hybrid (but has no chance of a test drive).

There is a 2020 Caracal demo available up here...

My question is....how does this wider rig compare in big/rough water to the Cougar/Puma?
    Keep in mind...Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair.

Thanks....

2. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I have a Caracal now and have had two CougarFTDs prior to this boat. I would say that the Caracal would be able to handle anything that the Puma or Cougar can handle. Keep in mind, no bass boat is meant to handle the crazy rough water you might encounter on the Great Lakes. The Jaguar is probably the best bet for that kind of water. From what I have read about the Hybrid, (never been in that 203 Hybrid) it might be a good choice too.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

I’m on my second Caracal. I fish st Clair multiple days a week (200 hours on my 2019 G2). It handles the lake well. Spotlocked into a double digit wind you will take some over the bow as it is a very flat boat. I’ve hit 71 on LSC, but you can count the number of days in a season you can do that on one hand. Very dry boat (you and your passenger).

I’d offer you a ride, but Trudeau won’t allow it....
    Last edited by Hollada; 09-12-2020 at 08:59 PM.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

4. Member
    Well played Hollada. And thanks for everyone’s info...

i am going to take it for a test run in the next couple of weeks

this is just my opinion so take it at that.
    i really like the Caracal wide body type decks but i do believe that the Cougar or Puma would take the bigger water better.
    again just my opinion here and i do own a older model cougar (2003) but its the same hull as the newer ones.

the skinner more narrow hulls can cut through water better if only a little than a wider hull. the cougar/puma is also a tad longer which helps as well.
    this is one reason you hear a lot of the die hard ChampioN folks talk about how they liked the old Mt Home boats better because they had a narrower body than the newer model ChampioN did.
    i fish Lake of the Ozarks which its man made party lake so not like the great lakes and i have never been on the great lakes but Lake of the Ozarks is horrible rough, to the point a few years ago it was rated one of the top 3 most dangerous lakes in the country. and i have no issues with my Cougar.
    i dont think you can go wrong with either....They are Bass Cat Boats how can you go wrong