Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA Looking at a used rig that has a225 Yamaha HPDI- avoid this motor??

The boat is a Skeeter 2006 with a Yamaha HPDI/225 hp. I’m pretty certain it’s a series one motor not series 2. I have heard of many people blowing these mid 2000 HPDI Outboards...I know the owner has done the yearly winterization on itStill trying to find out if he has kept up with the swapping out the internal filters on the outboard. just a general question but if you were in my position would you avoid buying a HPDI outboard if the hours were on the lower side? Anyone running a HPDI outboard that has had zero issues?

2. Member
    It is not an issue of Series I versus Series II. Both are big block 3.3 liter HPDI's. Somewhat less reliable when compared to the small block HPDI's. They are not all of the same.

Many many owners of 3.3 liter HPDI's have nary a problem. Zero issues. Problem is, we don't hear from them very much. Those with problems may voice it time and time again. It gets picked up by those that have never seen a 3.3 liter HPDI, let alone used one, and repeated again. All over the world.

3. Member
    I bought a 2006 201 xL with a 2006 250 HPDI from a close friend. I have had it a year and a half without a problem. I knew the history of this motor. Although it had 600 hours he was not a tournament fisherman and never missed a maintenance on the motor. In addition he ran it mid range most of the time. Also garage kept. . I paid less than $20,000 for the rig and was willing to gamble at that price.
    I would not buy one without knowing the history.

4. Member
    My mechanic is a certiffied Yamaha mechanic, and has been servicing Yamaha motors for 35yrs.

He always has lots and lots of hpdi sitting up on stands in his shop. He always talks about how much he loves my ox66, and how if it ever blows up he would like to be the first to buy it.

He also said if it blows up to avoid the hpdi and optimax like the plague.

That's all I know about them, but he's a pretty good dude and hasn't led me astray.

5. Member
    i have a friend that has the 225 hpdi it is a 2006 aswell, but its on a ranger fisherman, he does not run it wide open, but he loves the motor and the few times i have driven it, it fired right up and runs strong no issues that i am aware of, this fella also fishes 2-3 times a week most every week, year round, no telling the hours on it i will ask him next time i see him, he is the original owner

overtime, what does your friend have to say about the 250 sho's?

Just sold my 2010 Skeeter ZX 200 with a 2008 200 HPDI. Motor was never in a shop. Normal service was done every year without fail. Ring free in every tank of fuel. Motor had well over 400 hours and going strong..Having said that if I'm buying a new boat which i am. Its going to be a 4 stroke.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    For what's it's worth my son is a certified master yamaha tech ,he has had a lot of problems with the hpdi's. i have had 2 v maxs with no issues and currently i am running a 175 sho. great motor!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sez0429 View Post
    For what's it's worth my son is a certified master yamaha tech ,he has had a lot of problems with the hpdi's. i have had 2 v maxs with no issues and currently i am running a 175 sho. great motor!
    The son has the problems or the son's customers have the problems?

9. Member
    My son has over 25yrs servicing yamaha's just relating his issue's with the hpdi's !

10. Member
    I'm not a Yamaha guy but do a lot of reading. I thought I always read the series one problem was at idle it only warmed three cylinders. Causing warm up issues. May be wrong maybe someone here would know.

11. Member
    you are spot on over time again!

12. Member
    I got a 05 300 HPDI a year and a half ago. Factored reliability into the price. So I'm ready to buy a 4 stroke when it blows. It has run flawlessly for a year and a half (owned) with over a thousand hours.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sez0429 View Post
    you are spot on over time again!
    So the trick to be would to warm it up while in gear so that all six cylinders get oil and a warm up time.

14. Member
    It is a good idea to warm up any 2 or 4 stroke. I warm my up and idle some before getting on plane. When coming off plane I idle to my spot and then turn off. Just my preference same as our vehicles.

15. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    From my research <-- That's my disclaimer.

When the big block HPDI motors idle in neutral, they idle on 4 cylinders. I believe it is #2 and #5 that don't fire. Apparently when these motors crap out, it's one of those cylinders. The piston doesn't heat up proportionally with the block and other cylinders. If you idle for 5-7 minutes in neutral, then drop it in gear and go all out, this becomes a problem. I've heard <-- another disclaimer , that if you idle around in gear for a short while before blast off, or even take it easy for the first couple of minutes while on plane, the HPDI issues are completely eliminated. (change your filters and pumps regularly) (have your injectors cleaned if it's been a while)
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

16. Member
    Ttt

17. Member
    So it sounds like if you can verify with prior owner maintenance on motor has been done ( filters / etc) and motor is warmed up before ripping down lake It puts the odds in your favor of having a good outcome with a used HPDI-right?

18. Member
    I am not sure on that. I know gm motors decided to make the 5.3 LS V6 and V8 motors.
    Active Fuel Management (formerly known as displacement on demand (DoD)) is a trademarked name for the automobile variable displacement technology from General Motors. It allows a V6 or V8 engine to "turn off" half of the cylinders under light-load conditions to improve fuel economy. Estimated performance on EPA tests show a 5.5–7.5% improvement in fuel economy.[1]
    GM's current Active Fuel Management technology uses a solenoid to deactivate the lifters on selected cylinders of a pushrod V-layout engine.

Basically 1\2 the engine is shutdown. Good concept but reliability and lots of failures on lifters.
    It is a used outboard but depending on how it was cared for and maintained would help it

19. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    So it sounds like if you can verify with prior owner maintenance on motor has been done ( filters / etc) and motor is warmed up before ripping down lake It puts the odds in your favor of having a good outcome with a used HPDI-right?
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

The HPDI's bad reputation mostly came from salt water boaters with 225-300 horsepower who trolled a lot at low rpm's. Fresh water boaters, and doubly true for bass boats, had many less complaints. The four cylinder engines were mostly trouble free for all owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast