Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I’m laying in my bed for the first night in our new 2021 Columbus 329DV. It’s a 37.5’ 15,000lb fifth wheel that we are pulling with a 2020 F350 CC SRW long bed FX4 with the 6.7L diesel and 10 speed transmission. I got 12.6mpg pulling it from Turlock California to Santa Rosa California when we brought it home from the dealer earlier. This will be our full time home for the next four years. It’s just the wife and I with our Boykin pup so it’s plenty of room for us. She traded her Subaru Outback in for a Subaru Ascent so that she could tow the bass boat if needed for trips. We’ll see how that goes. So far so good on this purchase!

2. Member
    dannov5, I see you are from evans, my mom lives in Augusta, sister in Lincolnton. Went to Glen Hills, then joined USAF, My oldest son worked for Mike Cork in La years ago.
    we want to dothe same thing as you. Sold house in April moved in to a 24 tt the upgraded to a 5er

3. Member
    I'm pulling a 36' fifth wheel at roughly 13,000lbs with a 2019 Chevy duramax 2500. I put adjustable airbags under the rear end. If I had it to do all over I'd get a ton truck. My truck handles the camper well but the ton truck would be a better ride handling my camper. I have no complaints with my Chevy but if I go with a ton truck it will be either a Ford F-350 or a Dodge 3500. The Allison tranny is the best transmisson on the market right now. Perfect setup would be the Cummins motor, Allison transmisson, and Ford body and suspension. Wishful thinking!!
    "Montani semper liberi"

4. Member
    There is some really good advice (except the recommendations for Chevy! ) but only one person so far has mentioned the layout of the 5er. If you have any size to ya then one thing to really look at is the shower. I’m 6’5” and 240 and our 5er has the radius shower and it is tight! Wife and I are going full time next May as I finish up my time in the Army and retire. We are seriously considering upgrading our 5er to something around 35-37 foot just to upgrade the shower. Also, definitely go with a ton truck, it will give you so much more flexibility when choosing a 5er, we have a 250 and most of the 5ers that we really like are just over our pin weight on the truck. Best of luck to ya and keep us informed of how you make out. Also, check out 31 Dodge if you are considering a Ram, they have some really good prices and would be worth the 4 hour drive up into North Carolina.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroDave View Post
    dannov5, I see you are from evans, my mom lives in Augusta, sister in Lincolnton. Went to Glen Hills, then joined USAF, My oldest son worked for Mike Cork in La years ago.
    we want to dothe same thing as you. Sold house in April moved in to a 24 tt the upgraded to a 5er
    Wow! Small world! If your mom or sister wants to buy or sell their home, please send them my way! I need to sell more homes to finance this idea of mine! lol!!!
    2012 Phoenix 721/250 Pro XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman469 View Post
    There is some really good advice (except the recommendations for Chevy! ) but only one person so far has mentioned the layout of the 5er. If you have any size to ya then one thing to really look at is the shower. I’m 6’5” and 240 and our 5er has the radius shower and it is tight! Wife and I are going full time next May as I finish up my time in the Army and retire. We are seriously considering upgrading our 5er to something around 35-37 foot just to upgrade the shower. Also, definitely go with a ton truck, it will give you so much more flexibility when choosing a 5er, we have a 250 and most of the 5ers that we really like are just over our pin weight on the truck. Best of luck to ya and keep us informed of how you make out. Also, check out 31 Dodge if you are considering a Ram, they have some really good prices and would be worth the 4 hour drive up into North Carolina.
    First off, thank your for your service!!! I retired from the Army in 2013.

While I'm not as big as you are (5'9", 200lbs), the size of the shower is still a concern. I've seen some tiny ones and had to figure out if I could live with that. I'd rather not if I can avoid it. Still better than some of the desert showers I've taken though!!! hahahahahaha!

I’m 6’4” and 245lbs. The shower on our Columbus is HUGE for a camper!! Only other one I found that I liked and fit in was a Grand Design Solitude.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannov5 View Post
    First off, thank your for your service!!! I retired from the Army in 2013.

While I'm not as big as you are (5'9", 200lbs), the size of the shower is still a concern. I've seen some tiny ones and had to figure out if I could live with that. I'd rather not if I can avoid it. Still better than some of the desert showers I've taken though!!! hahahahahaha!
    Thank you, and thank you for your service as well! We are all part of the same team! Did you retire out of Gordon? I was there from 2011-2016. Absolutely loved the area. I certainly do NOT miss those desert showers, took enough of those to last me multiple lifetimes.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

9. Member
    Thank you, and thank you for your service as well! We are all part of the same team! Did you retire out of Gordon? I was there from 2011-2016. Absolutely loved the area. I certainly do NOT miss those desert showers, took enough of those to last me multiple lifetimes.
    Yes sir, retired out of Gordon. Moved to Florida for a year, hated it, moved back. Kids are all grown and not living in the area, hence the RV life idea. Who were you with during your time here?

10. Member
    Yes sir, retired out of Gordon. Moved to Florida for a year, hated it, moved back. Kids are all grown and not living in the area, hence the RV life idea. Who were you with during your time here?
    I was in the 63rd & 67th ESB, worked in the S3 in both BNs. Florida is on the short list of places to go to once I retire, really is going to depend on where the job is. Going to spend the month of DEC 2021 at Okeechobee at Roland Martin Marina. That is part of my retirement gift!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

11. Member
    I was in the 63rd & 67th ESB, worked in the S3 in both BNs. Florida is on the short list of places to go to once I retire, really is going to depend on where the job is. Going to spend the month of DEC 2021 at Okeechobee at Roland Martin Marina. That is part of my retirement gift!
    Small world. I was the S3 NCOIC at the NCO Academy from 2010-2012.

12. Member
    Small world. I was the S3 NCOIC at the NCO Academy from 2010-2012.
    It certainly can be. Have run into a couple people here at FT Drum that I served with back in the 03-06 time frame.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

13. Member
    It certainly can be. Have run into a couple people here at FT Drum that I served with back in the 03-06 time frame.
    Your name rings a bell for some reason....

14. Member
    Your name rings a bell for some reason....
    Gordon is fairly small, I am sure we crossed paths at some point. I didnt have much to do with the NCOA until I went through SLC in 2016.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

15. Member
    Do your home work on RV brands. The term “quality control” does not exist in this industry. Some are much better than others but none are great. You are going to have issues so buy from a reputable dealer that has significant service capacity. A mobile service truck is a plus. Dealerships are so busy these days it can takes weeks to get service done. Since you will be traveling a lot you will be extending and retracting your slide outs often. Buy toppers for them......usually an option offered. Buy the best quality you can afford.

16. Member
    I live out of a camper almost year round. I’ve had both my rigs for years. As right now I have a 39ft 2007 Cardinal and a 99.5 7.3 power stroke. Man they’ve both been great, I’ve had almost absolutely zero problems out of the truck and camper. When I upgrade in a few years I’m getting another Cardinal and a new F-350 6.7 power stroke. Just remember buy a camper you can put a washer and dryer in them. I bought a regular 24” stackable washer and dryer In my camper. I split the 2 50 amp breakers to give me a 240 so I can use a regular dryer. Those combo 12v Units suck. These campers can be brutal in the winter time. Any kind of skirting will hope but you might as well buy the expensive button up skirting. As someone said a heated water hose but make sure you have heat tape and extra insulation to cover up any thing you may think freeze. I have a built in generator in my camper and it has been a life saver from time to time. You can pull boats behind a 5th wheel just make sure what camper you buy has a hitch set up on the rear. Buy a couple extra propane bottles and keep them with you as I bought a 100 pounder and it’s to big to handle. If I’m staying somewhere for a long period of time In the winter I try to find a gas company that can bring me out at least a 100 gallon tank or bigger, cheaper prices and less fill up time. I keep PVC plumbing for my sewer, I don’t have to worry about that cheap, flex sewer pipe ever.If you have any family members or kids that may stay with you consider a bath and a half.

If you've never stayed in a RV before, rent one for a couple weeks. See what you like and dislike about it. That way you can make an informed decision before you're purchase. Make sure the shower will fit you as well as the thrown. Look for storage as well as conventional use. Most RV's are not as well built as a conventional home. Some things are cheaply built to save weight. The refrigerator you get doesn't work as well as one for a home. Make sure you have the artic package with all plumbing lines insulated and wrapped, as well as holding tanks. Go with 35/50 amp service, as a lot of parks only have 35 amp hookups. As my wife has told so many people, RV living isn't for everyone.

18. Member
    Since your by yourself ,, have you considered a cab over camper in the bed of a dually,, I have a 1181 lance with slide outs .. also pull a 22 ft Gambler with no problem.. they make several large truck campers on market now.. Just a suggestion.. I love mine for camping and taking boat,, No limit then..

19. Member
    I put 485,000 miles on a Dodge 3/4 ton with the Cummins diesel after hurricane Andrew hit S.Florida. Was pulling those RV's for FEMA. Almost all of the miles were between the Miami zoo and Bluegrass Army Depot in Richmond,Ky.

Never a problem with the Cummins !!!!! Change the filters as per schedule !!!!!! Auto transmission in the Dodge blew several "throttle position sensors". I carried a spare ! Sold the Dodge for about 1/2 of what I paid for it !!!!!!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ky2200 View Post
    Since your by yourself ,, have you considered a cab over camper in the bed of a dually,, I have a 1181 lance with slide outs .. also pull a 22 ft Gambler with no problem.. they make several large truck campers on market now.. Just a suggestion.. I love mine for camping and taking boat,, No limit then..
    Having camped and fished for well over 40 years, the above is the way I would go. I have a 34' travel trailer and 20' Legend, and camp/fish 4 months a year. My lake is only 50 miles from my home so retrieving boat is no problem. However wanting to follow the weather with a boat puts it all in a different light.Motorhome is not very desirable as one has to break camp to launch boat. Double pulling with a 5th wheel will be a problem as almost any comfortable configuration will be too long. IMO the downside to a truck camper is the lack of comfort lounging to watch TV. Today's truck campers with slide outs can be just as comfortable as one's home. Can be had with double recliners.

My ideal setup to live in, follow the weather, fish my bucket list lakes would be:
    Diesel dually, crew cab/ Double slide out truck camper with recliner chairs. As mention a shower is important, but if you are camping to fish, most lakes have full service shower/toilet facilities. Proper camper insulation is important, but when following the weather you will be living where it's not too hot or cold. As far as camping fees, most Corps lakes top out around $20 a night or $600 a month. $600 a month is a very low living cost when considering when electricity, water, property taxes, mortgage and home upkeep.

Unfortunately there is no perfect solution for what you are wanting to do, drawbacks no matter what solution you go. Carefully weigh the pros and cons of all camping/pulling options and pick what works for you. Your plan is the life many dream about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast