Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

5th Wheel living?

Has anyone on here lived out of a 5th wheel and traveled with the weather? I'm considering doing this within the next year after selling my house here in Georgia. I know it will be a pain towing the 5th wheel to a destination to then turn back and get the boat, but my thought is staying in each destination for a month or so at a time. I'm looking for pro's and con's of this style of living?

I would also be upgrading my truck to a diesel from my Tundra and am doing homework on either a F250 or Ram 2500. Any input on that would be helpful as well, as I've never owned a diesel.
    2012 Phoenix 721/250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dannov5 View Post
    Has anyone on here lived out of a 5th wheel and traveled with the weather? I'm considering doing this within the next year after selling my house here in Georgia. I know it will be a pain towing the 5th wheel to a destination to then turn back and get the boat, but my thought is staying in each destination for a month or so at a time. I'm looking for pro's and con's of this style of living?

I would also be upgrading my truck to a diesel from my Tundra and am doing homework on either a F250 or Ram 2500. Any input on that would be helpful as well, as I've never owned a diesel.
    First, if you want to live in one, you will travel heavier than campers, get you a 350 or 3500. They will get you a lot more flexibility on the size of rvs you can use. A modern diesel has awesome power (Ram does derate their 2500's, but they still are strong), but the new gas 7.3 of Ford, can do a nice job also.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    First, if you want to live in one, you will travel heavier than campers, get you a 350 or 3500. They will get you a lot more flexibility on the size of rvs you can use. A modern diesel has awesome power (Ram does derate their 2500's, but they still are strong), but the new gas 7.3 of Ford, can do a nice job also.
    Good info. I am all by myself so I can somewhat limit how big of a camper I need in terms of overall space, but I was thinking about the 1 ton truck also. I should have mentioned that it will be a toy hauler and will be carrying a golf cart and maybe even a Harley if I can make it all fit safely.

4. Member
    Good info. I am all by myself so I can somewhat limit how big of a camper I need in terms of overall space, but I was thinking about the 1 ton truck also. I should have mentioned that it will be a toy hauler and will be carrying a golf cart and maybe even a Harley if I can make it all fit safely.
    I don't like the living layout of most toyhaulers, but some have a lot of upper storage in the garage. The weight in the garage does help with pin weight. Have you had a camper? If not, I really recommend you visit a lot of rv dealers and see what they have, if you are like us, your opinion on the layout will change as you do.

To get an idea on what it will cost to stay in your rv, there are several camping apps and Google Maps to find campsites and find costs. If staying monthly, you can usually get better value on stays, but it can still cost $1200+ if you like the upper end sites.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

5. Member
    The wife and I lived in a 38' 5'er for about 6 months. It was fun until January. It was one of the coldest winters in SW MO and our trailer had the polar package. The problems are the black water and gray water valves are so close to the outer edge's that they freeze up. I had them wrapped in insulation and probably should have tried heat tape. Also, get you a heated water hose for your water supply.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    I don't like the living layout of most toyhaulers, but some have a lot of upper storage in the garage. The weight in the garage does help with pin weight. Have you had a camper? If not, I really recommend you visit a lot of rv dealers and see what they have, if you are like us, your opinion on the layout will change as you do.

To get an idea on what it will cost to stay in your rv, there are several camping apps and Google Maps to find campsites and find costs. If staying monthly, you can usually get better value on stays, but it can still cost $1200+ if you like the upper end sites.
    I did go to Gander Outdoors here on Friday and looked at the only toy hauler they had on the lot. It was a Fuel brand, can't recall the model though. I loved the layout in it and the sales guy was super helpful, even knowing I would not be purchasing that day.

Camp site fees were also a concern of mine and figured it would be 1,000 to 1,500 per month depending on where I stayed. Kind of pricey considering my mortgage is only 1,100/month. But I guess that's part of the game. Gotta pay to play.

7. Member

Camp site fees were also a concern of mine and figured it would be 1,000 to 1,500 per month depending on where I stayed. Kind of pricey considering my mortgage is only 1,100/month. But I guess that's part of the game. Gotta pay to play.
    State and Federal campgrounds are usually much cheaper. Have you considered becoming a campground host to limit expenses?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by motobuffy View Post
    State and Federal campgrounds are usually much cheaper. Have you considered becoming a campground host to limit expenses?
    I have thought about that, but also would like to move every 30-45 days, so I'm not sure that would be feasible. However, I am retired military and would do my best to take advantage of any and all discounts. Have also thought about getting a very used 5th wheel that may need some repairs, do it all myself, and just pay cash for it. The idea is to start all this next spring. We shall see.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and advice so far! Keep it coming!

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I did go to Gander Outdoors here on Friday and looked at the only toy hauler they had on the lot. It was a Fuel brand, can't recall the model though. I loved the layout in it and the sales guy was super helpful, even knowing I would not be purchasing that day.

The best possible RV advice is don’t buy an RV from Camping World/Gander RV or have one serviced there. They are uniformly bad. The equivalent of a buy here, pay here car dealer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Dislaimer: The following idea tends to cause the heads of some in the RV world to explode.

With the right setup, you can pull a boat behind a fifth wheel. Its doable and safe but laws in some states do prevent it. The 1 ton truck helps here but since you say you're look at the smaller end, that will help.

As far as toy haulers, Grand Design used to have a model that had a garage under the bedroom which was in the rear of this model. The living room (which is huge) is over the truck bed. They show a motor cycle in it, not sure about a golf cart but I am sure that would be a popular thing to haul. No way both are going in there though. Down side is it is big and heavy and pushing the limits of a single rear wheel 1 ton diesel. Dually could handle it if you want to go that route.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Dislaimer: The following idea tends to cause the heads of some in the RV world to explode.

With the right setup, you can pull a boat behind a fifth wheel. Its doable and safe but laws in some states do prevent it. The 1 ton truck helps here but since you say you're look at the smaller end, that will help.

As far as toy haulers, Grand Design used to have a model that had a garage under the bedroom which was in the rear of this model. The living room (which is huge) is over the truck bed. They show a motor cycle in it, not sure about a golf cart but I am sure that would be a popular thing to haul. No way both are going in there though. Down side is it is big and heavy and pushing the limits of a single rear wheel 1 ton diesel. Dually could handle it if you want to go that route.
    Though pulling the second trailer is legal behind a 5th wheel, it’s pretty difficult to actually do it legally. That’s because of federal maximum combined vehicle length law. 65 ft gets eaten up pretty quickly. Truck at 22’(F250/350 longbed Supercrew just as an example), boat at ~26+ ft (Ranger 519L with the motor up just as an example) leaves you only 18’ for your 5th wheel. Of course that is how far it extends from the back bumper of your truck, so you’d probably be looking at a 22 or 24’ 5th wheel. That will take some shopping or major trade offs in floor plan.

If you shorten up the other equipment with the shortest 250/350 at 19’4”, A Ranger RT178 at 25+ft with the motor up, you get 20’8” for the 5th wheel, meaning you can’t legally double tow with a 5th wheel longer than about 27’.

Don’t know that you’d ever get an grief, but with most rigs you are definitely not legal.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The best possible RV advice is don’t buy an RV from Camping World/Gander RV or have one serviced there. They are uniformly bad. The equivalent of a buy here, pay here car dealer.
    You are the second person to mention this to me today. I will probably heed that advice since it seems to be a common piece of advice.

As far as towing both the 5th wheel and boat at the same time, I just don't think my nerves could handle all that. I'm fine with moving the camper to new destination and then going back for the boat. A lot of driving, but far less stress.

I'm looking at potentially starting this adventure in April/May of next year. Gives me plenty of time to do my research, find a "work from home" job, and figure out if this is really something I want to undertake. It seems like a fun adventure that most people would love to have the opportunity to do, but it is also a huge financial undertaking as well.

Thanks all for the great advice, please keep it coming! Any thoughts on Powerstroke vs Cummins would be appreciated as well as better brands of toy haulers especially in terms of warranty and customer service after the sale.

13. Member
    Go drive a Duramax

14. Member

Thanks all for the great advice, please keep it coming! Any thoughts on Powerstroke vs Cummins would be appreciated as well as better brands of toy haulers especially in terms of warranty and customer service after the sale.
    If you are going new, you gotta look hard at a 2020 powerstroke (475hp) and 10 speed auto. It's a new tranny, so it doesn't have a track record to fall back on. Otherwise, Cummins is a better engine, but has a weaker tranny, unless you get a ram with the Asin tranny. It only comes in ton trucks and above.
    t

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Go drive a Duramax

I know they are strong, I just think they are not very good looking vehicles. Especially the new ones. But that is just my opinion.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by motobuffy View Post
    If you are going new, you gotta look hard at a 2020 powerstroke (475hp) and 10 speed auto. It's a new tranny, so it doesn't have a track record to fall back on. Otherwise, Cummins is a better engine, but has a weaker tranny, unless you get a ram with the Asin tranny. It only comes in ton trucks and above.
    t
    I will be going the 1 ton route, so will keep Ram on the list with that transmission. Plus I think the new Ram's are very nice looking trucks, and the interiors are top notch!

I know they are strong, I just think they are not very good looking vehicles. Especially the new ones. But that is just my opinion.
    I like the idea of having the Cummins, but when I bought mine it was before the Asin tranny. I ended up with the Duramax Allison combo .... The Allison is what made up my mind.

Better hurry up and get a diesel .... before long they are going to all be electric.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

18. Member
    We just moved into a 2021 Cedar Creek Silverback 33ik. It's 35 ft long with three slides. I pull with 2019 Chevy 2500 Duramax. Pulls great, We are going fulltime in Mar. plan on seeing this country up close.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroDave View Post
    We just moved into a 2021 Cedar Creek Silverback 33ik. It's 35 ft long with three slides. I pull with 2019 Chevy 2500 Duramax. Pulls great, We are going fulltime in Mar. plan on seeing this country up close.
    I'm still very much considering the full time idea. Want to travel with good weather for the first year on the east coast, fishing. Then head out west the second year. Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon are all on the list.

20. Member
    However, I am retired military and would do my best to take advantage of any and all discounts.!
    If your retired military take advantage of camping on military bases, very reasonable.
    2018 AlumaCraft Competitor 185cs, 2018 Yamaha F150XB w/2019 Yamaha T9.9 kicker w/Trollsmarter
    Heritage Custom Trailer w/Torsion axle / Vault Hubs & 4 step Trick Step
    Terrova 80# 24v I-Pilot, GARMIN 126sv
    Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado V6 Crew Cab 4x4 Long bed or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast