Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I have a toyhauler. use it to haul three ATV's. we cross country race. I will be retiring within the next year or two and have same idea as you. that said a couple of things I've learned - started with a gas 2500 pulled fine but 5mpg doesn't go far. finally went to 2500 diesel empty 20's pulling 10-12mpg. that is a big savings. my main passion is bass fishing and want to bring bass boat when we travel. I will not pull behind rv. I plan on having wife pull boat and I will pull rv. extra vech to use. last two things it ain't cheap to travel and stay that long. my plans our to buy a lot "south" with utilities and use that as my base to explore the area. cheaper in long run. finally get a toyhauler with the biggest garage you can get you dont know what you will buy down the road. I'm retired military also. plan on using base rv parks when I can. more affordable and secure.

2. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The best possible RV advice is don’t buy an RV from Camping World/Gander RV or have one serviced there. They are uniformly bad. The equivalent of a buy here, pay here car dealer.
    I second this! There is a reason they don't get repeat customers. A few people where I used to camp bought theirs from Campong world, Every single one said they would not do it again.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

3. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ky2200 View Post
    Since your by yourself ,, have you considered a cab over camper in the bed of a dually,, I have a 1181 lance with slide outs .. also pull a 22 ft Gambler with no problem.. they make several large truck campers on market now.. Just a suggestion.. I love mine for camping and taking boat,, No limit then..
    I considered this and considered a sprinter motorhome, but it looks like I my buy a diesel box truck instead and convert it into a stealth camper. I found one that was used as a display/showroom at trade shows and it already has ac, nicely finished interior, a big generator, side out steps, is wired with outlets and has lighting inside. It should be a fairly easy conversion to put in a kitchen, bath and windows. I really, really hate the roofs and build quality on RVs. Build quality seems to be non existent on 5th wheels under 100k and they all develop leaks after time. An aluminum roof seems really appealing to me.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123