Waneta/Lamoka NY

Hi all - looking for suggestions on what to use on Waneta lake. I have only been there 1 time previous with really no success. What I did catch came on a senko and weren't legal. I noticed the water is EXTREMELY clear, and this maybe the problem I had. Going back for a couple days and need help lol

Thanks!

Water there is stained (both lakes) not extremely clear. Closest to clear in the area is Keuka Lake. As for Waneta/Lamoka. Water level is very low right now. Below Winter pool as a matter of fact. Getting from the Canal Ramps to Waneta isn't too bad as the canal north of the ramps has always been a little deeper. That holds true even when lake levels are low, though you'll have to go easy at the mouth of the canal for a couple hundred yards into the main lake, so trim up your motor.

Getting to Lamoka is another matter. Smaller boats will have no real problem, though even they'll grind the bottom through the canal especially at the mouth of the canal into the lake. Not saying it can't be done, but with a bigger boat its probably wiser to use your trolling motor from the ramp to the lake, which will take a while.

As for productive baits, and others will no doubt chime in, any later summer/early fall baits will do.

Also, There is a tournament there Saturday (6am start I believe) so parking will be a tad hard to find. And if the weather is decent over the weekend, prepare for a mad house by mid day from the lake side residents.

Good luck.
    Last edited by OBT; 09-10-2020 at 05:45 PM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

3. Member
    Previously, I fished down the right hand side of Waneta as you come out of the channel. I used chatterbaits, drop shot (tiny flukes), and keitechs with no success. The next time I make it there, I thought about trying the other side of the lake.

4. Member
    Go have a good time, supposed to be nice weather.

5. Member
    Do you have any suggestions on what to use, besides "anything green pumpkin"