New to me boat setup

Hey guys,

Just purchased a new to me '04 201 pro xl with the 250 Optimax XS racing engine. Im going to be doing some upgrading to the boat but im looking for some direction, mainly as it pertains to performance.

Ill be installing a hydraulic jackplate. What offset should I go with?

What props are optimal for top end? Handling/rough water?

I bought the boat for the hull. A buddy of mine has the exact same setup and it handles the big water beautifully, but he doesnt " run " it very often. Hes not the kind to tweak for performance so im trying to figure out how to achieve both.

Thanks in advance!

Depending on load you have a 25 or 26 Trophy should give you optimal overall performance. If that engine is super strong maybe a 27.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Member
    I suggest taking the boat out a few times to see how it runs and handles as is before you start changing anything.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I suggest taking the boat out a few times to see how it runs and handles as is before you start changing anything.

Already have. Ran it with a 25P Turbo ( the prop that came on it ). Holeshot was terrible ( 8-10 seconds ). Top speed was 68 to 70 at 5800 ish rpms. P2P is 3.5" below.

Those are pretty good numbers, you just need a prop with adjustable vent holes like the Trophy Plus which has the PVS system. You may be able to get PVS holes drilled into your existing prop.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I have the same boat and engine. Running a 27 tempest and holeshot, handling and top end are all good. Speeds are mid 70’s mid summer with a tourney load and high 70’s in the winter. You will have to drive it over 70mph but it is a great all around hull.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabassangler80 View Post
    I have the same boat and engine. Running a 27 tempest and holeshot, handling and top end are all good. Speeds are mid 70’s mid summer with a tourney load and high 70’s in the winter. You will have to drive it over 70mph but it is a great all around hull.
    Running a hydraulic jack plate? Ive heard that the 27 Tempest is a dog out of the hole. What RPMs are you seeing at WOT?

25-26 Fury 4 is very good all around. Good top end, great hole shot and carries a load very well with a lot of lift. 27-28 bravo 1 xs would be another option.....

6 inch manual plate (slide master). Holeshot was plenty good for me. I repowered this year with a 4stroke 250 proxs and honestly my two stroke was stronger out of the hole. I never ran the two stroke over 5700 rpms. It is not going to jump out of the hole like a Yamaha but the 250xs has tons of torque. Load and temp did affect how quick it was out of the hole. I never tried a fury on the two stroke so can’t speak on it.

10. Member
    You said it is a “racing” motor. What model motor is it exactly? Which lower unit does it have? if it’s a Merc racing motor, then it might have a 1.62 gear ratio which would effect the holeshot and rpms.
    If just a regular ProXS, then a 27 Tempest will be the Fastest. That hull needs the bow lift that the Tempest has. A Fury might work, but doesn’t lift like a tempest and the Fury will run 1” heavier on pitch than a Tempest. I am not a fan of a Trophy on that hull. I don’t like the small hub prop, but a Bravo1 is a great 4 blade if you can find one that has been drilled for 8 PVS holes. power tech TRO4 also runs well. Couple MPH slower than the Tempest but has great lift and holeshot.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    You said it is a “racing” motor. What model motor is it exactly? Which lower unit does it have? if it’s a Merc racing motor, then it might have a 1.62 gear ratio which would effect the holeshot and rpms.
    If just a regular ProXS, then a 27 Tempest will be the Fastest. That hull needs the bow lift that the Tempest has. A Fury might work, but doesn’t lift like a tempest and the Fury will run 1” heavier on pitch than a Tempest. I am not a fan of a Trophy on that hull. I don’t like the small hub prop, but a Bravo1 is a great 4 blade if you can find one that has been drilled for 8 PVS holes. power tech TRO4 also runs well. Couple MPH slower than the Tempest but has great lift and holeshot.

2004 250 XS built by mercury racing. It has the 1.75 gear ratio...