Lake Cherokee Lodging

Hey guys, family is coming down with me for the BFL regional Oct 16-18th. We are launching from the TVA Dam Ramp. I'm a co-angler this year so no need to worry about boat parking. Where does everyone reccomend?

2. Member
    Don't know of a lot of places real close to Cherokee dam that I would recommend. You may want to check Airbnb in the Jefferson City area for a condo or house to rent. Otherwise I would recommend hotels around I-40 Hwy 92 (Dandridge Exit) which would be about 30 minutes to the dam.
    2018 Triton 18TRX
    2018 Mercury 175 Optimax ProXS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baysdad View Post
    Don't know of a lot of places real close to Cherokee dam that I would recommend. You may want to check Airbnb in the Jefferson City area for a condo or house to rent. Otherwise I would recommend hotels around I-40 Hwy 92 (Dandridge Exit) which would be about 30 minutes to the dam.
    Thank you sir!

Can you reccomend anything bait wise to bring down for the fall? Up here in Ohio, we only fish in a 4-5 ft of water.

4. kenny@bunchmarine
    There's some really cool cabins close by as well. Very rustic but you may be a tad late. Greenlee of Ma Springs Campground. Depending on how big the family is will also determine if you want to do these cabins. I'm one of the directors for the TN Team Trail and we stayed here for 2 days for our classic out of the dam. It's not the Ritz by any means but has a full kitchen and living room. We had 2 cabins for 7 of us. A guys and girls cabin. It has a double bed in the bedroom, a loft with a queen mattress and a sleeper sofa. A pavillion with charcoal grills. We would stay there again.

I will second the hotels in Dandridge right off I-40, it's only about a 20 minute ride (if that) to the ramp you will be putting in at and there are some nice hotels in Dandridge (Hampton Inn for example is probably the nicest). All the local tournaments with visitors from out of town tend to use these hotels in Dandridge; and that will be right after the Big Bass Tour on Douglas so hotels should be pretty open around then.

As far as baits on Cherokee, if you fish the lower end (near the Dam) bring your baits to catch smallmouth - drop shot, ned rig, finesse style worms texas rigged, small white flukes, etc as that end of the lake has more of a smallmouth population. I also know a lot of guys that fish red or orange crankbaits that time of year with good success.

The upper end fishes more like a river system in that you can catch both largemouth and smallmouth and it is not near as deep as the lower end and a lot narrower as it expands up to the mouth of the river. I usually fish topwater spooks/poppers there along with texas rigged creature baits, spinnerbaits, and chatterbaits that time of year. Swim jigs also seem to work well.

Hopefully something from this can help you!

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇
    Bass Pro Shops, Nitro Boats, Mercury, Kastking

6. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece22 View Post
    Thank you sir!

Can you reccomend anything bait wise to bring down for the fall? Up here in Ohio, we only fish in a 4-5 ft of water.
    Most anglers keep their secrets close. The bait fish are starting to move closer to shore due to cooler night temps here. Small mouths are still lying in 30-40’ with neds and tubes working well!

Good luck,
    Frank

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler882 View Post
    I will second the hotels in Dandridge right off I-40, it's only about a 20 minute ride (if that) to the ramp you will be putting in at and there are some nice hotels in Dandridge (Hampton Inn for example is probably the nicest). All the local tournaments with visitors from out of town tend to use these hotels in Dandridge; and that will be right after the Big Bass Tour on Douglas so hotels should be pretty open around then.

As far as baits on Cherokee, if you fish the lower end (near the Dam) bring your baits to catch smallmouth - drop shot, ned rig, finesse style worms texas rigged, small white flukes, etc as that end of the lake has more of a smallmouth population. I also know a lot of guys that fish red or orange crankbaits that time of year with good success.

The upper end fishes more like a river system in that you can catch both largemouth and smallmouth and it is not near as deep as the lower end and a lot narrower as it expands up to the mouth of the river. I usually fish topwater spooks/poppers there along with texas rigged creature baits, spinnerbaits, and chatterbaits that time of year. Swim jigs also seem to work well.

Hopefully something from this can help you!
    Thank you sir. Haven't been on Cherokee since I was 16.

No problem at all and I hope you enjoy it! I know you will especially if you hook into one of the 6 or 7 pound smallmouth...they are in there!

2003 Nitro NX882
    2016 Mercury 150
    GOD First! 🕇
    Bass Pro Shops, Nitro Boats, Mercury, Kastking

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler882 View Post
    No problem at all and I hope you enjoy it! I know you will especially if you hook into one of the 6 or 7 pound smallmouth...they are in there!
    Oh yea! It'd be nice to pull off a victory and head home to Ohio with a new boat!

10. Member
    I sent you a pm

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece22 View Post
    Hey guys, family is coming down with me for the BFL regional Oct 16-18th. We are launching from the TVA Dam Ramp.
    Well, at least they timed it right as the smallmouth limit changes back from 1 to 5 per person on that day.

12. Member
    Super tough out there for the regional. Fishing the co side sure has its advantages sometimes. Ended up catching all 3 of my keeper fish in 8-10 ft of water dragging a green pumpkin christy creature. Ended up 19th and missing the day 3 cut by 14 ozs. Lost a decent fish middle of the day but hey what can you do.