Thread: Prop selection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prop selection

Can someone give some advice on the prop I need. The boat is 1992 stratos 295 pro 200 hp Johnson. Currently have a 4 blade turbo 24 pitch at 55-5600 rpm also have a 3 blade raked 22 pitch at 6200+ rpm. I think that’s a little high on rpm. Would a 3 blade 24p raker be ok

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    3 blade 24 Raker sounds perfect. “Need” depends upon the results you’re looking for.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    With the 22p raker it has great hole shot top speed about 63 but rpm to high. Hoping the 24 will keep hole shot & the top speed maybe gain a little & drop rpm few hundred.
    Need a 2nd opinion before I drop 300+ on prop

What part of KY are you in...reason asking I have a 24 Raker you can test spin if your close to Green River Lake.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Try the 24 Raker if you can from Gene, you don't want those internals becoming externals.

6. Member
    No sir not after everything I’ve spent on it lately. I live in the Mount Sterling area Cave run lake

A 24 Raker sounds about right but Rakers have non adjustable small vent holes so your hole shot can suffer in order to get the best speed. I much prefer Mercury props because of the larger diameter, the adjustable vents and the multiple pitches inside each line.
    The Stratos/Javelin Hulls tend to have the best overall performance with 4 blade props so consider that as well. A 23 or 24P Merc Trophy or a 24 Merc Tempest is what I'd try with your rig. Get the Michigan Wheel #200 hub kit to fit the common Merc props.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Fisherman View Post
    No sir not after everything I’ve spent on it lately. I live in the Mount Sterling area Cave run lake

That's about 2+ hour or so drive from me so that's a decent drive to come test a prop...offer still stands so just let me know if your interested.

I will also add that so far all advice given is correct. A 24 Raker is a good option as well as the 4 Blade Trophy and the 3 blade Tempest that were mentioned. Just remember no matter what you spin you need the correct hub hit

9. Member
    Ok perfect I will check into all.
    Thank u guys for all ur input greatly appreciated.

10. Member
    One more thing we discussed pitch but what about diameter roughly what diameter should I be looking for?

The brand/series of prop provide the diameter so you can't go get a Tempest in anything other than what they come in, at least new. The merc props do have a bit larger diameter than the OMC/BRP props. Tempest is 14 5/8, Trophy 13.75''. Renegade Bass 13.5'', Raker 14.5''. I've found that 1/8'' - 1/4'' helps the OMC hulls perform better. Merc don't skip every other pitch either like the dummies at OMC did. OMC, put nothing into prop design where Merc has put a ton of R&D into prop design, just look at the offerings.
    Bottom line though, take your mind off of the diameter and just start with a known good/new prop in the pitch I suggested. Remember, just because a prop looks good don't mean it is. Anyone can file down and clean up (make shine) a prop and say it's been fixed.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. Member
    Ok tdt91 I ordered a 23 pitch trophy prop & a Michigan hub kit. The prop came in today & it doesn’t fit properly. It does have 15 spline like the OMC. It doesn’t slide far enough down the shaft likes about an inch. Don’t see we’re this hub kit comes into play either.
    could use some guidance here I got a feeling it’s wrong

PM sent

14. Member
    tdt91 I sent a pm message back I think I done it right anyways I got ur number & will call this evening when I get off work.
    Thanks for help

15. Member
    Hey guys can someone provide me with a part no for a weed ring. Engine is a 1993 Johnson 200GT with a standard gear case.
    Thanks

16. Member
    https://www.crowleymarine.com/d/tech...n-instructions
    should help
    i use a 21 trophy and love it , you probably will love it too , geat take-off and control .

17. Member
    I have a 23 trophy & like it well. It has amazing lift. 65mph at 5900 rpm. I’m still trying to figure out the best prop but this one seems good. Pretty good hole shot, could be better but yes great control & ride.

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You're right in the wheel house on RPM's but on the upper end of it Rev limiter is 6700 RPM hit it and you'll understand. If you're happy with the Trophy run it. It is a never ending search for the Nth degree of tweaking to get the most out of our rigs.

Did you buy a new 23 Trophy? If so they come with the large PVS plugs and if your hole shot is suffering a little bit just take one plug out and see how it does. A paint can opener works okay for removal of the plugs.

20. Member
    merc props hard to beat on rudes!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast