Banned

Hot water heater tripping circuit breaker

Older cabin purchased last year.... still fixing some things the previous owner neglected. The hot water heater has worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now the breaker trips about every 2-3 days. In between, it works fine. It's an electric model and I believe it says 2006 on it. It's on a 30 amp circuit.

My first thought is that maybe the circuit breaker is weak. This is a weekend getaway and when we're not there, we turn off the water and turn off the breaker on the water heater. Maybe the off-on-off-on weakened the spring in the breaker?

Beyond that, do I have any alternatives other than new water heater?

2. Member
    Breakers do wear out. Relatively cheap to go there first. If you have another 30 amp circuit, switch the breakers.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditch_Pickle View Post
    Older cabin purchased last year.... still fixing some things the previous owner neglected. The hot water heater has worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now the breaker trips about every 2-3 days. In between, it works fine. It's an electric model and I believe it says 2006 on it. It's on a 30 amp circuit.

My first thought is that maybe the circuit breaker is weak. This is a weekend getaway and when we're not there, we turn off the water and turn off the breaker on the water heater. Maybe the off-on-off-on weakened the spring in the breaker?

Beyond that, do I have any alternatives other than new water heater?

• Burnt heating elements – The element that heats the water may have split, exposing the electrical components to the water. That is a 14 year old water heater. If this happens, the short circuit can flip a switch on your water heating, causing the breaker to trip.
    • The breaker or wiring – The breaker may be worn out and trip. I'd check that first, as you said. A wire also may be loose in the electrical panel, causing a short circuit.
    • Your thermostat – If your thermostat goes bad, it can draw more electricity than the circuit can handle, causing the breaker to trip.
    2020 Vexus AVX2080
    HDS 9 Lives