54-70lb thrust...worth the effort?

20' ProCraft V-200 DC, is it worth the effort to swap out a 54lb trolling motor for a newer model with 70lb thrust? I know most suggest 80lbs (or more), but this one somewhat local and reasonably priced.

2. Member
    Absolutely.

3. Member
    That's about 40% more thrust, so I would say yes
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

Maybe 30%, unless my math fails me today... ;)

I picked the motor up this weekend, now just need to get it mounted. Quick question, are "newer" trolling motors considerably more efficient than older models? The TM that came with the boat is an MotorGuide 54lb thrust, which must be at least 20 years old...the Minn Kota is an Edge, so I am assuming less than 5-7 yrs old. I'm just curious if the Minn Kota will draw that much more current, and if I should look at upgrading the 10ga battery cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason280_2 View Post
    Maybe 30%, unless my math fails me today... ;)

I picked the motor up this weekend, now just need to get it mounted. Quick question, are "newer" trolling motors considerably more efficient than older models? The TM that came with the boat is an MotorGuide 54lb thrust, which must be at least 20 years old...the Minn Kota is an Edge, so I am assuming less than 5-7 yrs old. I'm just curious if the Minn Kota will draw that much more current, and if I should look at upgrading the 10ga battery cables.
    Your MG 54lb should be a 12 volt motor with one battery, whereas the MK 70lb should be a 24 volt motor, which will require 2 batteries wired for 24 volts. It should be a worthy upgrade, both for power and run-time through a full day.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    Your MG 54lb should be a 12 volt motor with one battery, whereas the MK 70lb should be a 24 volt motor, which will require 2 batteries wired for 24 volts. It should be a worthy upgrade, both for power and run-time through a full day.
    and if that is the case your new motor will draw less current, (Amps) to do the same work.

Well I'm going from 55 to 80 real soon.. so I can give you a good idea after this weekend..
    1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite DC
    2010 Mercury 200 ProXS
    Dual Lowrance Ti2's / Ghost TM

Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    No, the 54lb thrust is a 24v motor...

No, the 54lb thrust is a 24v motor...
    OK. MG made a 12 volt 54lb also, so wasn't sure. Looks like you're all setup then for batteries. I'd do the upgrade, especially on a 20' boat.

10. Member
    I suggest you upgrade from 10 gauge to 6 gauge wire for sure. It is usually pretty easy to do. Well worth it!

Thanks!

I'm going to look at upgrading the wire, really no reason not too....just have to figure out how to snake it into position. I'm curious if I can use the current wire to "pull" it into place when its removed, but I am not sure if its attached anywhere or not down the length of the boat.

12. Member
    Thanks!

I'm going to look at upgrading the wire, really no reason not too....just have to figure out how to snake it into position. I'm curious if I can use the current wire to "pull" it into place when its removed, but I am not sure if its attached anywhere or not down the length of the boat.
    Pulling new wire in with old works most of the time! Take ends loose and see if it will pull an inch or two pretty easy. If so give it a try. If it pulls right in good.....if not get a buddy to help by pushing and wiggling old wire while you pull. Make good connections so that wires don't come apart mid way! Good luck

Well I now have the Ghost installed.. so I went from 55lbs to 96lbs of thrust.. and holy crap! I know it's a bigger jump, but well worth it!
    1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite DC
    2010 Mercury 200 ProXS
    Dual Lowrance Ti2's / Ghost TM