Service on Merc 250 four stroke V-8

I own a Merc V-8 250 HP four stroke motor. I had the 20 hour check and oil change. I now have 88hours on the motor...almost 10 months old. Is the next service for the motor at 120 hours? What is involved in
    the next service, and what is the approx cost of the service. Thanks

2. Member
    I reckon nobody knows.....

3. Member
    Your next Oil Change is at 100 hours. Read all the information below. Don will want your Engine Serial Number.

V6/V8 Fourstroke OIL CAPACITY and OIL LEVEL

Please note: If your engine's oil capacity is listed at 7 qts, that does not mean you pour 7 quarts into the engine when doing an oil change.

What that means is that the engine when completely dry (fresh powerhead and clean/dry oil sump) will require up to 7 quarts of oil to reach FULL capacity. Adding that much oil during an oil change will result in an OVERFULL condition.

Most V6/V8 Fourstrokes will require 5.5-6 quarts of 10w30 Synthetic Blend (Mercury or Quicksilver) Fourstroke Oil for an oil change. I recommend purchasing Gallons... 2 gallons for the first change, and you'll have about 1/2 gallon left for the next time- just purchase 1 gallon the next time, and so on.

I recommend engine oil level be checked on a WARM engine. Tilt the engine up to 20-25 degrees of trim for at least 2 minutes to allow oil to drain back to the sump. Drop engine back down to LEVEL trim, and wait at least 1 minute.

Remove dipstick, dry off oil, and then re-insert dipstick. Check engine oil level- correct level is between the second and third ball in the "safe" oil range. NOTE: If you add oil, you must repeat the process (trim up 20-25 degrees, wait 2 minutes, etc).
    CAYMAS1

4. Member
    I am merely asking what work is involved in the 100 hour check. Also, if I had the motor serviced at 20 hours, and it requires a service at another 100 hours, then the service should be at 120 hours....ar least that makes sense to me. I do not see any listing of work that needs to be performed in the owner's manual for the 100 hour service. Is it ...change oil and filter....change plugs, change lower unit oil, any other filters, belts, water pump? There must be a set c ost for this 100 hour service. Model 12500033A. Serial # 2B736860
    Last edited by lakebouef5; 09-10-2020 at 02:19 PM.

5. Member
    Your 20hr was an optional change the 100hr change is recommended regardless of the other the 100hr service will consist of oil change lower unit change empellar fuel filter change the spark plugs can be inspected before a change but if your a tournament guy those too should be changed as for cost that depends on your service people.

6. Member
    Thanks for the info

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Your next service is at 364.99 days, or 100 hours, whichever comes FIRST. Note that there are BOTH "hours" and "days" that dictate when a service is actually due.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Serial number was posted

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    12/18/2020 or 100 hours, whichever occurs FIRST.

Found on page 63 of the Engine Owner's Manual.

-Inspect/Clean the Exhaust Strainers

-Change the engine oil and filter

-Check the engine-mounted water separating low pressure filter (Replacement recommended as it's black and you can't see inside it).

-Check boat mounted filter if equipped.

-Remove prop and lubricate the splines

-Inspect the thermostat (Testing recommended)

-Check and re-torque Engine Mounting Fasteners (Steering Fasteners Also)

-Check Corrosion Control Anodes

-Drain and replace gearcase lubricant

-Inspect battery

-Inspect Spark Plugs (Anti-seize if used in saltwater application)

-Check tightness of all bolts, nuts and other fasteners - a Dealer Service

-Quickleen in tank (recommend in every tank)

-Check to ensure intake silencer is in place (if equipped)

-Check that idle relief muffler is in place (if equipped)

-Check for loose hose clamps and rubber boots on the air intake.

---------------------------------

Note that there are additional items involved in the 3 year/300 hour service.

In fishing applications- I would strongly recommend you NOT wait until 3 years/300 hours to replace the water pump. The exact same impeller and top housing, turning at the exact same speeds was used in Optimax Product (and required replacement at 1 year/100 hours... Annually).

One look at all the plastic and rubber involved in the exhaust section should tell you that you DO NOT want to overheat the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Appreciate the info. I would imagine this will be north of 500 bucks.

Oh for sure... i was told that the 100 hr service is a pocket buster... i also did the "20hr" service when i bought my boat for the original owner... i guess it was more mind ease to get it done even though the original owner was quite keen on that 100hr mark.