Thread: RT lug nuts

RT lug nuts

Had to take the RT 188 in for tires, and a few of the lug nuts had to be extracted off. Never would of gotten them off on the side of the road. Also put 19mm. lug nuts on so there will be more room for wrench. Just an FYI, although discussed here before. Was not enough room even to use a 4 way lug wrench.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

Living in the Saltwater area, I put Anti-seize on the wheels and lugs. Ranger has replaced my lug nuts, but I ended up buying some Stainless Steel lug nuts. 10-4 on carrying socket and ratchet for those lug nuts.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    Thin wall socket comes in handy for those rims

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Over tightened lugs were a consistent complaint with the RT188 during the first several years of production. I don't know if it has gotten better but like the OP I would have had no chance to get my lugs off as they came from the factory. Finally after a couple of years I was able to get a wrench long enough to get them off. And definitely carry a thin wall socket!!

5. Member
    I didn't have any trouble breaking mine loose when I swapped them for the SenDel wheels shod with Goodyear Endurance tires.

I replaced them with better lug nuts to match the wheels.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

6. Member
    I keep seeing these threads and wonder what's different about my trailer. I can fit a normal impact socket onto my lug nuts without issue and I've never had an issue getting them off. I do have the fancy aluminum rims. I assume they are the ones that people are having issues with.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    I keep seeing these threads and wonder what's different about my trailer. I can fit a normal impact socket onto my lug nuts without issue and I've never had an issue getting them off. I do have the fancy aluminum rims. I assume they are the ones that people are having issues with.
    Maybe the gorilla that worked at the Ranger plant left after the 2015 model year. I also have the fancy aluminum rims, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a RT188 trailer with the standard wheels.

8. Member
    Carry 2 different 4 way lug wrenches, none fit. No room around the lug nut.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

Thin wall socket, 1/2 inch pull bar with a cheater pipe to give a little more leverage. That's what I carry. There was no reason for them to be as tight as they were when it came from factory. Thank goodness I was in my driveway when I first removed them and not at night on some two lane country road or the interstate.

If you have one of these RT trailers and have not removed them yet.....you really need to. Your typical stuff you normally carry might not work. They didn't use a torque wrench. I am really not sure what would have tightened them so hard. I thought I might break the thinwall or the pullbar swivel joint.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

This is what I always carry in my truck. The attached socket is a 13/16 six point thin wall and there is a 3/4 stored in the end of the cheater bar. I have had to to use this a couple times at tournaments for other guy’s trailers and it took all the strength I had on the cheater bar to break the lugs loose.

BTW: I lost a wheel on my BassCat trailer on the interstate because all 5 studs sheared clean with the axle. The Trailer repair shop said the studs Sheared off because they were over torqued and sheared when they heated up. Since then, I insist that all my lugs are checked with a torque wrench. I don’t trust the air impact wrenches, who knows when they were last calibrated.
    I also own a torque wrench and check my lugs at least annually.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    Thin wall socket, 1/2 inch pull bar with a cheater pipe to give a little more leverage. That's what I carry. There was no reason for them to be as tight as they were when it came from factory. Thank goodness I was in my driveway when I first removed them and not at night on some two lane country road or the interstate.

If you have one of these RT trailers and have not removed them yet.....you really need to. Your typical stuff you normally carry might not work. They didn't use a torque wrench. I am really not sure what would have tightened them so hard. I thought I might break the thinwall or the pullbar swivel joint.
    Befor I went to tire store, I broke a thin wall socket, and broke an extra long wrench.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

12. Member
    This is that I use and keep one in each truck in case I drive a different one.

Beats a 4 way lug wrench and will fit multiple sized lug nuts without having to carry extra sockets and no need for a Cheater Pipe.

https://smile.amazon.com/Gorilla-Aut...9958346&sr=8-1
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

If something is so tight that a breaker bar wont break it loose then an impact wrench is in order. The vibrations from the impact work wonders breaking stuff loose with less risk of shearing the studs off. Other than if i were on the side of the road i never remove mine by hand always use an impact with a thin wall impact socket. Torquing lugs is important 95-100 lbs/ft for 1/2” studs is perfect and you can easily remove them with standard tire removal equipment. When i painted the calipers on the triton I wasnt sure what to expect on the tightness but they were just right came off easily. Also 6 pt sockets only never 12 pt.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Living in the Saltwater area, I put Anti-seize on the wheels and lugs. Ranger has replaced my lug nuts, but I ended up buying some Stainless Steel lug nuts. 10-4 on carrying socket and ratchet for those lug nuts.
    I do not, nor would not, under any circumstances, put anti seize on vehicle or trailer wheels. If one of them comes off your truck/trailer, thus causing an accident, or is found after the fact to be one of the causal factors after the attorney sifts through the evidence, you will be held liable for damage to persons and property. I only put a drop or two of oil on my boat trailer lugs, and I torque them myself.

My .02 FWIW.

https://www.fleetowner.com/equipment...bunking-a-myth
    https://www.permatex.com/faqwd/perma...bolt%20stretch.
    2020 Vexus AVX2080
    HDS 9 Lives