Thread: Jack Plate??

Jack Plate??

I have a 2005 Triton TR-186 powered by a 2005 Mercury 150 xr6... I've had this boat for quite some time (7-8 years). I love bass boat central and read things on here almost daily, but rarely post. Never really thought much about it, but after reading all the comments about jack plates, it's made me start wondering something... my boat doesn't have a jack plate, never has since I've owned it, and always ran great (knock on wood)... my question is, should my boat have a jack plate on it? What's the purpose of one? I know one of the purposes is to get the right height/performance out of your motor. My motor does everything I need it to do, has a SS prop, gets up on plane quickly, top speed about 60-61 with just me, 58-59 with me and a buddy. Always have preventative maintenance done on the motor once a year, and it runs good. But just wondered, should I have a jack plate on it? Is part of the purpose of the jack plate to take pressure off the back of your boat so it doesn't eventually cause stress cracks where the motor bolts onto the boat? Or is it just to get the most performance/speed out of your boat? I've never had any stress cracks or anything like that on the back of the boat or anywhere for that matter. Just wanted other guys thoughts on this... thanks in advance!

2. Member
    I would post this in the Triton Forum for info. Also, welcome to the BBC.
    A jack plate could allow the motor to run in cleaner water, increase performance, get on plane faster, run in shallow water, etc.
    The Triton forum also has info at the top that may help you with this and other Triton items.

3. Member
    ^^^^^^^^^

This. What jimsch said.

4. Pat Goff
    I don’t like fixing things that aren’t broken. If you like what you have go fishing.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. Not necessarily a Triton question, just wondered if every bass boat with a 150hp or greater should have a jack plate and since I didn't if I was risking damaging my boat/motor. But I guess I won't worry about it since it's always ran fine without one. Thanks!

6. Member
    I don't think you're risking damaging your boat with or without a jack plate. It would give you a slight increase in performance but like you said, "It's always run fine without one". BTW I see you're a resident of the Commonwealth of KY.

7. Member
    Yessir, have been all my life... Paris/Georgetown area. See you're in Etown, what lakes do you fish? And thanks for the reply!

If it was my boat, I would leave it alone. You are happy with it's performance so why take a chance of screwing up the setup which sounds like it's dialed in now?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke512 View Post
    Yessir, have been all my life... Paris/Georgetown area. See you're in Etown, what lakes do you fish? And thanks for the reply!
    Mostly Nolin (where I went today) and Rough, since they're the closest. After that it's Green and Barren. Grew up fishing Lake Malone.

10. Member
    I've never fished any of those places except Barren, and that had only been twice. I mostly fish Cumberland, but when I want to go somewhere close to the house I go to Lake Carnico in Nicholas Co, or Stoner Creek in Paris. I've always wanted to try Green, and heard several good things about it, just never have. Nice to meet you Kevin, and thanks to everyone for the replies!