2008 Evinrude Etec 250 HO... overheat alarm

So I have a 2008 Evinrude Etec 250 HO with under 200 hours on my 94 Champion. I love the boat! Only issue I have is if I run the boat over 4,000 rpm for over 4 or 5 minutes, I get a overheat alarm. No limp mode, I just reduce speed, the alarm almost immediately goes off and I proceed under 4,000 rpm and have no issues. Any ideas? Since I bought the boat after the repower, I don’t have a temp gauge, just the alarm built into the tach.
    2020 Nitro Z20
    250hp Mercury Pro XS

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Regit777 View Post
    So I have a 2008 Evinrude Etec 250 HO with under 200 hours on my 94 Champion. I love the boat! Only issue I have is if I run the boat over 4,000 rpm for over 4 or 5 minutes, I get a overheat alarm. No limp mode, I just reduce speed, the alarm almost immediately goes off and I proceed under 4,000 rpm and have no issues. Any ideas? Since I bought the boat after the repower, I don’t have a temp gauge, just the alarm built into the tach.
    do you have a fishfinder with nmea2000 capacity? might be worth buying the evinrude/nmea connector cable and other parts to rig an nmea network and then you'd have detailed information including left and right bank engine temp and maybe codes depending on the finder.

there's also an engine diagnostic cable and program you can buy so you can read full data history with a laptop. cables are sold on ebay or you can diy if handy with electrical.

3. Member
    Yeah, I have all gen3 helix electronics. I was considering the nmea, makes sense.
    2020 Nitro Z20
    250hp Mercury Pro XS

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Do you have a transducer on the transom within 18" of the center line of the motor? You could also try installing Ultra High Flow intake screens on the gear case #5006337 and see if that helps.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Do you have a transducer on the transom within 18" of the center line of the motor? You could also try installing Ultra High Flow intake screens on the gear case #5006337 and see if that helps.

There’s an idea, thanks I’ll look into it.
    2020 Nitro Z20
    250hp Mercury Pro XS

6. Member
    If you put the Ultra High Flow screens on the back of the boat can get loose at higher speeds. I have them on a 200 HO on a Charger. They were the only way I could get rid of an over heat alarm.