Thread: Mouse???

Mouse???

2018 350 Verado 2B549936
    Hadnt used it for a couple weeks and its stored in my garage.
    Finally went fishing went to get on plane and my son says something didnt sound right. Got on plane but under full power the motor sound like it was missing, prop slipping, couldnt figure it out. It would run ok unless full power. No codes or alarms. Will idling I could hear bubbling from exhaust. After some thought, I thought poppet cover came loose. Removed side cover and sure enough it was half off. Replace and problem gone. Why would this blow out. Would a mouse or mud dauber plug up exhaust ports causing enough back pressure to make engine run bad and blow poppet cover.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I assume that you are referring to the Rubber ACCESS plug, and not the actual Poppet Valve (which is retained in place with bolts), correct?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I assume that you are referring to the Rubber ACCESS plug, and not the actual Poppet Valve (which is retained in place with bolts), correct?
    Correct. Also note this is an XL shaft and while inspecting the poppet noticed the water tube guide 8m0107908 above the exhaust tube seal which seemed kinda strange.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is the way it's shown in the parts diaphragms.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor