Thread: 9.9 outboards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

9.9 outboards

looking for recommendations on reliable 9.9, any make. Thanks

Only thing I can suggest is to pass on the 9.9 Evinrude. I have a 2001 I'm dealing with has a power pack issue and the part new parts are defective too. CDI told me dealers stock 8 to get one good one. 3 down 5 to go! Runs for 15 minutes then losses spark.

There are a lot of items that are no longer available. Just to name a couple the gasket from the powerhead to the lower unit, coils, o-ring seal from the exhaust adaptor to engine. Those are just off the top of my head.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    Just about all of the 2 stroke ones are pretty reliable, I have a 2000 model Johnson 2 stroke 9.9 on my old Tracker and it runs great. The 4 stroke ones don't seem to have nearly as much power.

4. Member
    Yamaha..and I am a merc guy.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Just about all of the 2 stroke ones are pretty reliable, I have a 2000 model Johnson 2 stroke 9.9 on my old Tracker and it runs great. The 4 stroke ones don't seem to have nearly as much power.
    I'd be happy if my 9.9 4-stroke would just stay running

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    I'd be happy if my 9.9 4-stroke would just stay running
    A friend of mine has a Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 with the same issue, starts and idles fine but will only run wide open a couple minutes before it dies. We have changed the fuel pump, fuel lines, spark plugs and cleaned the carb and still the same issue. He has it on a 14-15 foot v bottom Lowe jon boat and it will only do 9 MPH wide open with 2 people in it. Meanwhile my 9.9 2 stroke Johnson will push my old 16' Tracker 15 mph with 2 people, with tackle cooler and all the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    A friend of mine has a Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 with the same issue, starts and idles fine but will only run wide open a couple minutes before it dies. We have changed the fuel pump, fuel lines, spark plugs and cleaned the carb and still the same issue. He has it on a 14-15 foot v bottom Lowe jon boat and it will only do 9 MPH wide open with 2 people in it. Meanwhile my 9.9 2 stroke Johnson will push my old 16' Tracker 15 mph with 2 people, with tackle cooler and all the gear.
    This runs fine for 15 min. First start and will push an 18' to about 10 mph. Doesn't matter third, half, full throttle. Work it hard or easy 15 min. it looses fire. If I can get a good power pack it would be fine.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

8. Member
    Tohatsu were always great 2 stroke small motors. I had 9.9 and 15 Johnson's back in the 90s and never had any issues
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

9. #FRB
    Not a 9.9 but I had a 20hp '96 model Mercury 2-stroke on my old flatbottom that I ran for 3 years and it was rock solid. There are a lot of unknowns in fishing but I always knew that old Mercury with unknown hours and perfect 120 on both cylinders compression would fire right up and stay running and I ran that thing hard and put it up wet. That old boat went to a nice couple when I sold it for a really good price. Hell the motor was worth about what I sold the boat, motor, and trailer for. The old Johnson 9.9's and 9.5's seem to keep going and going and going!
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Member
    We have a 79 evinrude 9.9 and it still runs good. Havent really dont anything to it either. Probably due for a carb cleaning.

If you're looking for a new 9.9, I'd recommend the F Series 4 stroke Yamaha. I have a 25, my cousin has a 25 and a 40. The guy who does our cabin maintenance has 4 of the 40's on his work boats. The F Series are as bulletproof as outboards get.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Member
    I have two I no longer use. A YAMAHA 15hp with 9.9 cowl. A MARINER 9.9 HP rebuilt to a 15 HP. Will to let them go cheap.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    I have two I no longer use. A YAMAHA 15hp with 9.9 cowl. A MARINER 9.9 HP rebuilt to a 15 HP. Will to let them go cheap.
    Is the 9.9 a tiller steer?

14. Member
    dad has a 70's evinrude that still runs perfect and a 9.9 4s merc that is new never started he might let go of????
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Member
    Yes, do I and it is also electric start. Do i have to list this in the proper forum to sell it?

On a side note located an aftermarket Power Pack for my 2001 9.9 4stroke rude. That worked for over an hour on the hose. Its been over 4 years since I heard it run more then 15 minutes at a time. So its off to the lake in the morning to see if it really will run for a while. Its was really weird to have to turn the key off to make it stop running. What a concept!

So 4 brand new OEM rude ppacks failed to run more than 15 minutes at a time. I don't understand how a manufacture sells such a product. Oh wait they stopped making marine engines I wonder why!!!

I have had worked on these two rudes more than any other boat I have ever owned and you can throw in a good friends boats I helped on too. All of them together compared to this one. There is just over 110 hrs. on the big engine and near nothing on the 9.9. The paint isn't even starting to wear off the prop. Just sayin!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

Tohatsu is the small motor company.

All 9.9s are good.

Suzuki was the 1st with EFI.
    Mercs this year is EFI.
    Yamaha is always a strong choice.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Tohatsu is the small motor company.

Love my Tohatsu, one pull everytime. 15 years

20. Member
    Get some of the CDI in line spark testers and run it with them on it to see if you loose both at same time , does that pack have built in rev limiter ? Good clean grounds on the engine ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast