leaf spring under the axel ??

Didn't want to hijack the other thread, but I wanted to know if it is safe to put the spring under the axel??? My 03 519 sits really hi on the trailer and its a pain both launching and just reaching in ... Hanging the spring feels a little sketchy but I don't know why ... Other than fender clearance can I git pros and cons , safety first of course... Can I hear from anyone who has actually done it ??? Thank you ,, Mychael

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Odds are somebody has used the wrong parts for a repair or messed with the bunks. Using the wrong springs is a common mistake. They’ll fit, but since they are too long, they lift the trailer.

Level the trailer and measure to the bottom of the tongue. Should be pretty close to 18”. If it’s higher than that, something has been done to the trailer. If the ground clearance is right, I don’t think you want to lower the trailer. You’ll be putting your hull close to the road.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    If you move the spring perches so the camber and load bend is correct and the U bolts and plates are rated for the load you will be fine. Now tire to fender, axle to frame and trailer dragging are all on you. I have done it the other way as load is no longer on the bolts and plates but never needed to lower a trailer. Odds are Cat hit the nail on the head with wrong parts. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

4. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    most people do opposite; spring over

camber does not change
    'load bend' (??) non-issue

as long as everything clears and boat not too low, you'll be fine