Lowrance HDS - 12 Transducer issue

I have a Gen 3 that quit recognizing my epoxied in transducer. The transducer will still show temp for the bilge area but not an option for sonar depth reading. I am able to use my structure scan transducer for depth readings, but obviously not as good at speed as my HST-WSBL

Has the transducer crapped out or is there a way to check that perhaps my settings are incorrect? The only option available when I check data sources for Sonar-Depth shows HDS-12 Sonar (this device) and that box is checked.

Thanks for the help.

2. Member
    Do you have channel ONE (For SONAR only) selected?
    Last edited by kennybryan; 09-08-2020 at 03:47 PM.

3. Member
    Kenny thanks for the time to ask.

The boat is at the lake about 3 hrs away so I can't even begin to fix the issue. However, I don't know how to select channel ONE. I do know that the transducer is plugged directly into the HDS and I am ASSUMING that it would only plug into channel ONE.

About the only idea that I have for checking the transducer is to take my flush mounted Carbon out of the bow and plug the transducer into it and see if I can get a reading.

4. Member
    Understood.

You Tube has tons of vidoe's that can help.

Watch the ones by Lowrance expert, Jacob Scott. He is THE Lowrance expert.
    Last edited by kennybryan; 09-08-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoGregS View Post
    Kenny thanks for the time to ask.

The boat is at the lake about 3 hrs away so I can't even begin to fix the issue. However, I don't know how to select channel ONE. I do know that the transducer is plugged directly into the HDS and I am ASSUMING that it would only plug into channel ONE.

About the only idea that I have for checking the transducer is to take my flush mounted Carbon out of the bow and plug the transducer into it and see if I can get a reading.
    I Have an HDS Gen3 but thought it only had 1 sonar channel. Did I miss something?

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Member
    You are correct, Channels started with Carbon. The Gen 3 had a single sonar connection and a Sidescan connection.
    Couple things to try. Obviously you can try another unit to see if the problem lies with the Gen 3. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the transducer. Go to Pages, Settings, Sonar, Installation and see what is selected. Finally try a hard reset. That's about it. Oh, one other thing. If your units are connected by Ethernet, when on the Sonar page you could select another source. Make sure that works, once again to rule out the Gen 3 being the problem.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

7. Member
    Thanks for the suggestion NoCal. I did try the disconnect/reconnect thing a couple of times lol.

There is only one sonar port to plug into, on my Gen 3

I'm going through the same thing. My 2018 HDS12 Gen3 everything works except Sonar. Did update hard restart. Checked transducer with my other 12. No answers other than have no Sonar on that graph.my friend is a Lowrance Rep. He checked everything. No answers.

9. Member
    If a Lowrance rep can’t figure it out, I’d say it’s toast. Aren’t they trained to set up units and diagnose Issues?
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

10. Member
    Thanks to all who responded with suggestions. I tried them all but was not successful.

However, by using a soft restart it cleared up the gremlins that were causing the problem.

Thanks again!