Anyone had this happen?

I noticed this weekend that when I trim my motor up to put on my transom saver that it looks like I have some movement in the top of my engine. The best way I can describe it is, that as I trim it up it hits a point where the weight of the motor transfers and I can see the motor moves freely about a 1/2" to 1" towards the boat. I also feel like I can shake the motor and see a little play in it when its trimmed at this point. The movement seems to be at the pivot point kind of just under where the trim button is. Is there a bushing here that could be worn or maybe something that is coming loose?

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Member
    sounds like the swivel pin is worn,look right where it comes out the bracket when tilting it up

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    sounds like the swivel pin is worn,look right where it comes out the bracket when tilting it up
    Thanks Buster, is it something that should be addressed immediately or could it wait until I bring it in to winterize? Is it a pain to fix?

The big dogs will be on in a few and probably advise NOT TO RUN until addressed. Also you may want to add serial number. It is required when posting.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

5. Member
    adapter plate under powerhead broken ,DO NOT RUN untill adressed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    I just ran it over to my local marina and they think it's the bushings on the upper motor mount not the adapter plate.

7. Member
    what mtr
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    what mtr
    Pro XS 250

Whatever it is, I would still not run that way. Believe me though, there is a TON of knowledge on these boards and Joe54 is one of the "Big Dogs". You wouldn't believe how many times "Master Techs" were wrong even looking at my engine while the advice given virtually was spot on

Quote Originally Posted by skipdog View Post
    I just ran it over to my local marina and they think it's the bushings on the upper motor mount not the adapter plate.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

10. Member
    only bushings are in the swivel tube on upper part on pxs no bushings on mounts and they are solid , soooooo only thing else is bolts loose or plate broken ,unlikely upper bushings bad but possible,

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

I'm with Joe on this... most likely cause is broken hardware/upper mount clamp/adapter plate.

DEFINITELY DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE AGAIN UNTIL IT'S BEEN REPAIRED.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor