Using chatterbaits

I've been using chatterbaits more an more for smallmouth bass. Some that I use are home made others are from Z Man. I find that all of them seem to turn slightly on the side during the retrieve. I still catch fish but I think I would catch more if the lures were running true. Is that a common problem? Does it depend on the trailer ? Should I slow down the retrieve ? I'm using a Calcutta DC and a Loomis spinnerbait rod . It's not a fast reel but smallmouth usually like a fairly fast retrieve.

2. Member
    What are you using for a trailer it could be a little off center, i use a split tail and have not seen or noticed it runing on the side. maybe check and see it the blade is bent down where it hooks to the eye

3. Member
    I use Strike King Menace grub vertical

4. Member
    might have to slow them down a bit then, i know a 1/4 oz does not like a fast retrive, i dont think the trailer is the issue

5. Member
    Make sure the trailer is perfectly straight, otherwise it will act like a keel and turn the chatterbait on it’s side, especially when rigged vertical. Also, try a slower retrieve, or if you want to go fast for smallies like in your original post, bump up a weight size to keep the bait down in the water column without blowing out
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Definitely the trailer could be crooked.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

7. Member
    Run it without the trailer first and see how it tracks. That will tell you.

8. Member
    Never had that problem and I throw a chatter more than anything else. Of course I fish them really slow to begin with because I want the head to tick off rocks and branches.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

I have never used a jackhammer but have a little experience with bladed jigs. Some guys want a “hunting action” and get that by not bending the blade when they put together a bladed jig. I never liked that action but rather wanted that consistent rhythm of a straight true retrieve. My best fish have come at the bottom of the water column with a slow retrieve while bumping structure. You get that by bending the tip of that blade. Try putting the blade in a vice where the bend is with the bent tip sticking out. I take a hardwood 1X whatever placing one end against the tip right at the vise and hitting the other end with a hammer. Knock the piss out of it. You won’t bend that stainless 90 degrees, I promise. It will bend and deflect just enough for a great bend to give just what you seek.... on a side note, I have tried to bend that blade with pliers, two sets of pliers, vise grips, etc. etc. etc. Don’t waste your time. You just mostly end up marring the blade...

10. Member
    Thanks everybody for the different suggestions. I will be trying all of them.