1984 mariner v150 ruining issue

was out running my champ today and out of nowhere I hear an alarm that I have never heard in the 8 yrs I've had the boat. the setup is 1984 champion 184, mariner v150 s/n 6443939, was doing about 35mph and out of nowhere what I assumed was the temp alarm went off. I shut it down and then restarted checked for water spitting out the tube and none, left it off for 5-10 min restarted and then it was really hard to start, got it running smelled flooded bad, tried to throttle up and it would then put in gear and would never plane out and would not accelerate. shut it down then got a tow to the ramp. got it home threw the muffs on and no water at idle, and only sporadic water water squirts when idled up... suspect impeller....

pulled lower unit and water pump, all still in one piece impeller looks as it should. pulled plugs and seemed oily pretty much as usual. then pulled thermostats they are pretty crusty.

ordered complete water pump kit and new thermostats and gaskets....... should be here in 4-8 days.

does anyone have any idea what could have been causing this. any help or guidance wold be awesome
    thanks in advance

2. Banned
    It will help you to receive faster, and more accurate responses if you will post your questions in the appropriate forum:

Mercury Motors (this forum)
    TWO STROKE models (Less than 135 hp).

Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5L Two Stroke motors (Carb, EFI, Optimax or Racing).

Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 3L Two Stroke motors (XS, ProXS Optimax, EFI, or Racing)

Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    For discussions related to ALL Mercury 4 Stroke Engines.

For fastest/most-accurate assistance, please choose the correct forum.