Moving to Florence - Looking for Bass

I have been offered a new job in Florence starting next spring. Not sure where I will live, but probably close to that area. Any recommendations on lakes or what parts of what river to fish? Pretty nervous as I currently am 3 minutes from the Mississippi River and will miss it dearly. Appreciate any help or direction!
    2003 Skeeter 250 ZX
    2003 Yamaha 250 VMAX HPDI

2. Member
    I have friend lives there- apparently oh river sucks. Cumberland 3 hours , dale hollow 4, st clair 4 or so - so not good for you in re fishing as your travel times gonna go way up. Stellar deer and turkey hunting up there though

3. Member
    The Ohio river will break your heart. It is fun to fish, but there just aren't very many bass swimming in it. A couple smaller lakes around that fish pretty good.

If I were in your shoes, I would live as far south of Florence as I was comfortable with commuting. That would open up some of the bigger lakes down south for one day trips. Cumberland, Cedar, Laurel, Woods Creek, Dale, Cave Run

4. Member
    Cedar creek lake. Herrington. Cave run. Ky river. The Ohio River supposedly is better up there then the pool here in louisville
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

5. Member
    You may consider finding a community with a private lake. There are a number of those between Florence and Lexington. I live in one that has a 100 acre lake that fishes good but has restrictions keeping me from using my bass boat. So two boats for me. I have a 14 ft Vhull with a trolling motor when I want to stay home.

6. Member
    Ugh. Thanks for the info. This is gonna be a tough move. I was looking at an area of the OHIO river near WARSAW? Turtle Creek and Craigs Creek? Looks great on the map...
    2003 Skeeter 250 ZX

There are some small lakes along the I75 corridor....Williams town lake, Boltz, Bullock Pen, Corinth and Kincaid
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thyezer View Post
    Ugh. Thanks for the info. This is gonna be a tough move. I was looking at an area of the OHIO river near WARSAW? Turtle Creek and Craigs Creek? Looks great on the map...
    It looks good. But the river has never been that great. 10lb is a good bag. I have heard of people catching 20lb of small mouth below the dam at Ashland but that’s when the stars align
    Murray State Alum

9. Member
    Here you go just check out the historical records http://www.usabassin.com/modules.php...divisionID=131
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

10. Member
    I live about 10 miles south of Craigs, the river is def better on that side of the dam than below it where I am. The only thing nice for me is I have KY river frontage now. As said by others, the river isn't that great to fish but it is a lot better than it was years ago. PM me is you want some more info about the area.

11. Member
    Excellent link...disappointing, but clearly shows what able fisherman can do...

Stoner: appreciate this tidbit.
    There are some small lakes along the I75 corridor....Williams town lake, Boltz, Bullock Pen, Corinth and Kincaid

Thanks for the info! Feeling a little better :)
    2003 Skeeter 250 ZX

12. Member
    I think that would put you like an hour from Brookville Lake in Indiana. It's been pretty pressured the last several years, but still can be really fun fishing and pumps out some good bags. I'd say that's the closest decent lake to where you're at. Has both good smallmouth and largemouth. Generally takes 14-18 to win in the spring. Deep reservoir. Hope that helps!

13. Member
    Great help everyone! Any input or opinions on areas to go to or avoid next week when looking for housing? Primarily, would like to stay out of a city neighborhood, but that's probably because I don't know a good one from a bad, at this point.

I'm thinking about looking within a 45 min drive of Florence...so that seems to potentially put me in up to (3) states (yikes). So, who loves and hates where they live...or where they don't live? ;)

Thanks again for all of your help!
    2003 Skeeter 250 ZX

14. Member
    I’m the opposite of you lived most my life in Ky Moved to Iowa for 7 years then moved back to ky. I was in between Cedar Rapids and Iowa city so fishing for me was a plus moving back! Deer hunting not so much Iowa ruined me as far as bow hunting! Good luck with your move I will ask my SIL I think he grew up around Florence I can ask about neighborhoods if you like!

15. Member
    As mentioned, the further south you go the closer you will be to the better lakes, laurel, Cumberland, dale, etc.
    Murray State Alum

16. Member
    Yeah around Georgetown you’ll be close to awesome eats in lex and closer to the southern lakes but yet be 45 min to Florence

17. Member
    Williamstown, Dry Ridge, Crittenden are nice little towns. There is a nice little lake in Williamstown it gets hammered with boats in the warmer months though. Also several other small lakes with in 30min. That would put you around 2hrs to Cumberland and Laurel. Then 1.5Hrs from Cave Run, Guist Creek, Herrington.
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

Grew up in Florence, lived in Independence, and now live slightly further south in Verona, KY. I drive up 71/75 to Ft. Mitchell area for work daily, but I stay out of Florence as much as possible anymore as it has just gotten over-crowded and more urban than it was. I second moving as far south as comfortably possible. We moved to Verona for the school and to get out of the city a bit. Great area for now, but as NKY continues to grow they can't grow any further North than they already are so things will continue to move South down the 75 corridor. As for the smaller lakes, they are barely enough to keep you interested - I live on one and while it used to be decent, I have only fished it 2 times this year as it has been beat to death due to Covid and people having nothing else to do. I've never fished the Mississippi River, but I don't think it is a stretch to say you will be sorely disappointed by the OH River. Even with it's small bass population, there are still multiple tournaments weekly up/down the river in the area so not only is it tough fishing but there is plenty of pressure on it as well. About the only good thing about the OH river is that it's close and has some good populations of other fish. There are many lakes in the state, but you are going to have to drive a couple hours for the better/best fishing. As stated, find a private community lake if possible or live as far south as possible in order to shorten your drive to the real gems of KY - Cumberland/Dale Hollow.

19. Banned
    We're all looking for bass to... There's rumors and sightings, sorta like Sasquatch... ... The rive offers you best local fishing. It'll take some time to learn but it's by far the best water in the area... Cumberland and Dale Hollow will take a lot of time and patience to learn. Have you ever fished a lake with 10+ feet of water clarity. It's intimidating but the fish are there. Welcome to the area... ... Dan

20. Member
    Brookville Lake in Indiana, Harsha Lake(East Fork) in Ohio are within hour drive. Ohio river is a beautiful day on the water. Bass fishing can be a challenge but crappie can be fantastic.
    If you like smaller rivers look at Little Miami , Great Miami and Whitewater river(OH, In) for smallmouth. Licking and Ky river for musky, smallmouth, spots and largemouth