Oneida mid-October?

Hey guys - I’ve got a buddy in Syracuse who’s invited me up to stay and fish Oneida in mid-October. I’m bringing my boat as he doesn’t have one and neither of us has ever fished there. Sure would appreciate any general tips suggestions for likely patterns to expect that time of year. Thanks in advance for any guidance you might provide!

Scrib

Typically moving baits for there and that time of year.However! Last year was difficult rumors were there was something going on with the smallies and the numbers were not showing up throughout summer and fall,typically gets better for fall,but wasn`t the case,possibly due to warm fall. If thats the case this year,you have to spend some time finding them,if you do should be good.Last year beginning of October found a school in a bay and ranged from 10' all the way in to 3'. Went back 6 days later and not a bass to be found. Bring a cooler,you`ll probably get some pretty nice walleye.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

3. Member
    Last year we had incredibly hot weather followed by a 2 day 25 degree water temp drop. It was like everything was in shock. Had some nice cool weather lately by mid October should be a good time. Stick to moving baits and look for bait on your graph. The good thing is if the smallies aren't biting the walleye will be and it's been a banner year for them. Could easily put 40 in the boat by October and who's going to complain about catching walleye on bass tackle. Have fun!

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    my suggestion for this year mid october dress warm.. not supposed to have those warm falls we have been used to in the past, this year..

5. Member
    Last year wasn’t bad .. but the eyes were better.. found most of my deep still ..
    still roaming in packs... with the warm water this year .. last years wasn’t any different .
    didn't get as cold fast ..Keep looking ...you’ll find them ..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Spinnerbaits with chartreuse blades, jerk baits, things that are moving typically work in mid-October. Looks for any gulls that are active and if you aren't getting any action keep moving. They shouldn't be very deep in mid-October.

7. Scraps
    Stellar days years ago, some days in the snow, fishing spinnerbaits and 1/2oz lipless baits through the shoals. Shallow!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Spinnerbaits with chartreuse blades, jerk baits, things that are moving typically work in mid-October. Looks for any gulls that are active and if you aren't getting any action keep moving. They shouldn't be very deep in mid-October.
    This is solid advice..Oneida isn't what it used to be, it really hasn't been what its known for since 2017. Some guys get um but very few, you need to spend alot of time out there now to compete in any tournament any time of year. The gobies have change the feeding patterns of the smallmouth in the lake, the feeding seagull pattern rearaly works anymore...agian this is only my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleIke View Post
    This is solid advice..Oneida isn't what it used to be, it really hasn't been what its known for since 2017. Some guys get um but very few, you need to spend alot of time out there now to compete in any tournament any time of year. The gobies have change the feeding patterns of the smallmouth in the lake, the feeding seagull pattern rearaly works anymore...agian this is only my opinion.
    I really like your comment because I’ve not been to Oneida since the gobies became firmly established and I know that quite a few anglers have said that Oneida isn’t what it used to be, making me wonder if the gobies have changed feeding patterns. Feeding on young of year perch versus gobies is certainly different.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleIke View Post
    I agree with this.

Be prepared for wind in October out there. Caught a six pounder on Oneida in some of the worst wind and waves I've ever seen last year, thought it might be my last trip on her.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by behls16 View Post
    I agree with this.

Be prepared for wind in October out there. Caught a six pounder on Oneida in some of the worst wind and waves I've ever seen last year, thought it might be my last trip on her.
    Great point on the wind factor , add 5-10 mph onto the forecasted winds for any particular day and adjust to one end of the lake for pertection...she gets angry in the fall. I believe its due to the shallow make up of the lake and the contrasting air and water temperatures that time of year. It does however produce the giants in October. Fill up your gas tank and keep moving...with caution that is.

12. Member
    Thanks, guys. Really appreciate all the advice. Looking forward to the challenge. Won't be scared to pack up and head north to the river or Ontario if we struggle too much though. Been up there for the last three bass season openers in June and had a blast.

Scrib

Quote Originally Posted by scrib View Post
    Thanks, guys. Really appreciate all the advice. Looking forward to the challenge. Won't be scared to pack up and head north to the river or Ontario if we struggle too much though. Been up there for the last three bass season openers in June and had a blast.

Scrib
    Unless you are Canadian you won't be getting into Ontario and then if you do get in you will have to quarantine for 14 days. But maybe you meant Lake Ontario!! Have a good trip and post a report afterwards.

14. Member
    Lol yeah I meant Lake Ontario. We stay up in Henderson in the spring and fish the islands mostly.