Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2004 225 Optimax Air Compressor pulley or new compressor needed?

I'm running a 2004 225 Optimax (Serial# 0T961839) with approximately 500 hours (I had my boat serviced in January with 482 hours; I don't have SmartCraft yet)

When returning to the ramp (thankfully), I noticed when I started my motor, It made this pronounced clicking sound. I put the boat on the trailer and made it back home to investigate the source of the sound. I've included two videos (one on the water then one at home with the motor on muffs). They are linked below. I DID NOT have any power loss, I DID NOT have any water pressure loss, and I DID NOT have any warning horns go off.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JGJ...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a40...ew?usp=sharing

I have already contacted my dealer and have requested an appointment. I know that with my motor being around 500 hours, I've hit the magic number with my compressor. My main concerns are:

1. Do you think it may be the main pulley making that noise--and it maybe isn't the whole shaft in the compressor? (maybe that's wishful thinking only)
    2. Thanks to Don, I've been looking at all the parts on the European Marine's parts catalog; however, I did notice that you couldn't order the compressor itself without calling
    3. If possible, i want to try to avoid replacing the whole compressor--but I'm also willing to fix it and make it right, even though it's a hefty repair bill. Is there anything I can ask my local dealer to check the fuel rails and make sure they are all right?

Thank you all for your time and your patience. If anyone has had this experience--or has any advice on how and what to say to my local, certified Mercury mechanic, please let me know.

Thanks!

2. Member
    You can't rebuild compressors, so IF the compressor IS bad, then the compressor needs replaced.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    You can't rebuild compressors, so IF the compressor IS bad, then the compressor needs replaced.
    ^^^^

Heed Savage's advice.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    I believe someone sells a rebuild kit and I know a certified Mercury technician that has rebuilt them (although I wouldn't put one on my motor).

5. Member
    Please tell us who sells the rebuild kits.

Since the failure is normally the crankshaft and connecting rod bearings, then this "rebuild kit" would atleast need those items.
    Last edited by Savage; 09-10-2020 at 04:26 PM.

6. Member

Since the failure is normally the crankshaft and connecting rod bearings, then this "rebuild kit" would atleast need those items.
    I've got an appointment with a dealer/Mercury Master Marine Technician on Saturday.
    I will ask him:
    Do you know the source/reason of the failure? (bearing, rod, pulley, lack of oil etc.)
    Will you replace the compressor?
    Is there a way for him to inspect and clean the rails/injectors if necessary?

I know Don offers Integrity Injection, but I am not mechanically inclined/skilled enough to disassemble these and send them without help.
    I did wonder if after the compressor replacement, it would be worth the drive from KY to SC to get the injectors and rails cleaned if Don can fill me in--or is it worth asking my local mechanic if he offers this service?

7. ourflat
    What a lucky catch...good on you!

Frank

Have your local mechanic remove the rails per Don’s instructions and shipped to him for cleaning. You pay Don’s bill directly.

An additional suggestion would be too have your mechanic replace your steel reeds with TDR fiber reeds. An additional option would be to have your mechanic remove the reed cages and ship to Don. They will be returned properly lapped and TDR reeds installed. If you have 500 hours on those steel reeds, I virtually guarantee some are chipped.

I live 3 hours from Don and had him do all the above at his shop. If you like driving or just want ti meet “The Legend” himself then by all means drive to Greenville. It is worth the drive for this much work.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. ourflat
    What is Don’s contact info?

Frank

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
    What is Don’s contact info?

Frank
    He is in here EuropeanAM pm him

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Have your local mechanic remove the rails per Don’s instructions and shipped to him for cleaning. You pay Don’s bill directly.

An additional suggestion would be too have your mechanic replace your steel reeds with TDR fiber reeds. An additional option would be to have your mechanic remove the reed cages and ship to Don. They will be returned properly lapped and TDR reeds installed. If you have 500 hours on those steel reeds, I virtually guarantee some are chipped.

I live 3 hours from Don and had him do all the above at his shop. If you like driving or just want ti meet “The Legend” himself then by all means drive to Greenville. It is worth the drive for this much work.
    If the compressor failed hard (when the compressor is taken apart....if there any signs of pieces that could be in the air lines), then you have to have the Rails Cleaned AND the Injectors flow tested (especially the Direct Injectors). The small pieces of compressor will get in the rails and puncture diaphragms. They will also get into the direct injectors.

12. Member

Checking on the kit. I think my buddy said its a piston and rings and seals. If the compressor fails hard, then I believe its a throw away. If the operator is quick (lucky) enough to hear the compressor going or the air pressure is low (indicating a weak compressor) then that is the intent of the kit. Stay tuned but again...I would just replace it with a new one.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury does not offer replacement pistons, rings, bearings or crankpins for the early-style air compressors. A complete replacement ASSEMBLY is required.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Mercury does not offer replacement pistons, rings, bearings or crankpins for the early-style air compressors. A complete replacement ASSEMBLY is required.
    You are correct...however Pro Marine offers a Mercury Air Compressor Reman Kit. http://parts.promarineusa.com/productdetail/M50/1/1/500

As I stayed previously, a very good engine builder I know has rebuilt several using this kit and as far as he knows they are all still in service. If the compressor detonates, then they are junk. However, if they are caught before failure (low air pressure), then they can be successfully be rebuilt. However, I think it takes a very capable engine builder.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basspro57 View Post
    Checking on the kit. I think my buddy said its a piston and rings and seals. If the compressor fails hard, then I believe its a throw away. If the operator is quick (lucky) enough to hear the compressor going or the air pressure is low (indicating a weak compressor) then that is the intent of the kit. Stay tuned but again...I would just replace it with a new one.
    Pro Marine http://parts.promarineusa.com/productdetail/M50/1/1/500

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basspro57 View Post
    Thanks for the info.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Interesting that the kit shown above fits "Mercury All". Wondering how that works with the different bearing configurations, piston type, and compressors that have a different bore and stroke. Hmmmnnnn....

For a 3L... if the crankpin, Rod, Case and Reeds are all in excellent condition, this might be an interesting option.

Years ago (prior to the change to the newer BLACK compressors), I rebuilt several successfully utilizing OEM parts. Most of what I see today would not be rebuildable (crankpin is damaged).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Heck don mine has 173 hrs now and I am considering installing new one for shits and giggles.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I have a hard time replacing a perfectly good compressor, especially since I've seen no real difference in failure rates between the designs.

20. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Heck don mine has 173 hrs now and I am considering installing new one for shits and giggles.
    Agree..! So Don, there is no mean time failure rate on these compressors? They just randomly fail?

Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast