Thread: RV Resale Value

RV Resale Value

My wife have been throwing around ideas on things to do in retirement. One of her ideas is buying an RV and travelling around the USA "for awhile." We would then sell it. On a scale of 1-10, in your opinion, what are re-sale values for RVs? I rate houses a 9, cars a 4, and boats a 6.

Thanks!
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Right now, you pay through the nose new, but even used ones are high. But this is an unusual time. My guess is that in another couple of years there will be a glut of lightly used rigs and prices will be in the tank.

Resale is normally reasonable for several years IF you don’t store it outdoors when not in use and you keep it maintained.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Like Catfan said this is a bad time to buy a boat, truck or RV supply is limited and there holding there prices good. I was at a RV lot yesterday that I have been at many times in the past and it was dam near empty.

4. ourflat
    I have owned Class C (Forest River) RVs over the last 15 years until I purchased my lake house. I grew tired of how much my RVs would depreciate over the course of the 1st 5 years of ownership! Example: purchased 2014 3051S for $120K then sold in 2018 for $69K. Purchase 1st lake house in 2018 and sold in 2019 for a $50K profit. Purchased bigger lake house in 2019 and already appraised at $175K over purchase price.

I liked to travel but didn’t like the financial loss. We still travel and rent an occasional RV at our favorite sites for a week or so at a cost of around $600.00 and don’t have the headache of dealing with the RV ownership!

Frank

5. Member
    If cars are a 4, RV’s are 3.5-4.

6. Member
    Good, accurate information and I would say Spot On!

7. Member
    Top dollar for rv in top shape right now but i dont think it will last.

8. Member
    I think in the next few months there will a be lot of rv's on the used market. I may be wrong, but I can't see that all the purchasers will be able to keep their rv. For now, it is a sellers market, but we did find a nice used one a month ago and picked it up.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

9. Member
    Check down in SW Louisiana in 3-6 months to a year. After Hurricane Laura destroyed most of everyone's homes, a lot have bought campers to live in while they rebuild their homes. These campers will not have many miles on them as they will be parked in the driveway and lived in full time. The majority of people are going to want to sell them after they move back into their homes.
    2014 Legend Alpha 211r
    2024 Mercury ProXS 250 3B460301

Here's the thing about RV's

They are a lifestyle purchase, like a Bass Boat. Nothing cheap about them. We love ours, but I bought it knowing I will lose a bunch on money on it.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by willymac View Post
    Check down in SW Louisiana in 3-6 months to a year. After Hurricane Laura destroyed most of everyone's homes, a lot have bought campers to live in while they rebuild their homes. These campers will not have many miles on them as they will be parked in the driveway and lived in full time. The majority of people are going to want to sell them after they move back into their homes.
    I'd rather buy an RV with more highway miles on it than one that sat for 6 months with someone living in it every day. I'm sure you're right on there being some low prices, but those will be some well used units as well. And, since almost all were purchased with the intent to selling them in a few months, I'd be concerned they were not well taken care of.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

12. Member
    There are still some bargains out there, but be ready to act quick or it will not be there long.

13. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Years ago when the kids were small I bought a 22 footer and had it delivered to a campground. We used it like a summer home and went there just about every weekend for ten years and I sold it. Kids got older and it wasn't "cool" any more. I kept it up and I got what I paid for it.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

14. Member
    Rv is the last thing to buy if worried about resale

15. Member
    First and foremost an RV is a DEPRECIATING asset. That isn't going to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankinh20 View Post
    Rv is the last thing to buy if worried about resale
    Hahaha, you ain’t kidding lmao.