Youghiogheny Dam 9-7-2020

Today was training day that turned into a good fishing day. Today I taught my daughter the finer points of operating a bass boat. Today was the day she would learn to take the boat off the trailer, dock and load. Then she would control the trim on her own under power as I have been helping her.

We arrived at the lake early and was great by a lot of fog. The perfect time to keep repeating unloading,docking and loading. You know guys if your real picky about your boatget a life. My daughter hit the nose a little hard on the dock, she missed the trailer more than a few times. She was spot on unloading. She is good enough to do it after a full hour of practice.

Next I had her run the boat and make her on adjustments. I taught her how to start learning to understand the depth finders. I taught how to follow my weigh points into the extremly shallow MD water.

Now in the excitement of her learning how to unload and load we left both cell phones in the truck. We did catch fish and a lot of fish. I will share our hot spot today. It is in the Mays point area. If your coming from the dam it would be the wide area with a left turn. You will see the shoal on the left clearly marked. Start about 100 yards from the first set of docks. You should be fishing a very rocky side in water under 10 feet. Fish this pass the two docks then around the point to the other set of docks. In addition try fishining from the point to the shoal bouy.

Lots of fun. I used a purple Senko and my daught was using a top water lure.

We left at 11am as boat traffic was picking up.

2. Member
    You seem like a great guy but you "Spot Burn" too much. Glad there is time for you to help your daughter learn to unload and load the boat. Peace.

3. Member
    I can say this about John , He is someone that just likes to see people catch fish and is willing to say when , where and with what lure. Now for the next part of my 2 cents. I have fished with John multiple times , He has never once posted and/or divulged any places we have fished together and/or lures I’ve caught my fish on.

To Each His Own , That’s How He Rolls , Lets All Have Fun & Catch Lots Of Fish.

Stay Safe.

Last edited by MikeFromMaryland; 09-08-2020 at 07:44 PM.

4. Member
    He only posts when he is in his own boat. When he fishes from someone else boat he always says he wasn't in his boat so he can't say where he was. If you fish the yough enough everyone knows where the good spots are.

5. Member
    Fishing. You know what the best thing about fishing is? If you said catching fish your wrong. It is meeting and developing new friends. Life is short, I'm a cancer survivor. This little event that I hope never returns made me see things different. My wife's breast cancer changed my world.

In any event there are a lot of TV shows and YouTube channels on fishing. Mostly some push a product or only show you some techniques. Some may talk about finding fish or about structure. Some are fully comical. I like Natie up North and Beyond the Bounds. But most never break down a lake and actualy teach you how to fish. I dont know maybe they dont want you to catch fish. They might say use a Senko and might give you a color. What they dont describe is how fast to fish, how slow to retrieve, what the bite may feel like at different times. They dont describe wearing the paint off the hook so you know you have contact with the bottom. They dont give you any info on a lake. I mean where to fish etc.

In any event these are my spots that I worked hard to learn how to fish. No one ever showed me these spots. To me i don't think I can actualy spot burn my self. In fact several times I have said in my threads feel free the pull along side an fish with me. I respect tactical information shared to me.

For what it's worth I really enjoy when some one recognizes me on the water or at the launch and shows me a picture of a large bass their son or daughter caught from my information.

If I shared one of your spots I'm sorry but there is still a ton I only keep to myself when I am fishing solo. It's a big lake with a ton of great spots to fish.

Let me tell you about two people. Mike a great person to share a boat with and fish with. I met him at the end of last fishing season. He has shared a wealth of information with me. He has made me a better person and fisherman. I really can't say how lucky to have him as a friend. I wished we lived closer and COVID 19 wasn't around so we could have another dinner with you and your wife.

Steinybass what can I say about you. Trust me I will always remember you asking if I needed help when I was recovering from my hand surgery. My wife would worry that I would have trouble but I would tell her don't worry Steinybass is on the lake today. I mean who does that any more? I still chuckle about that day in March or April when we met at the launch wearing masks and talking about 15 yards apart. But trust me I will never forget you checking with me to ask if I needed help launching or loading.

This is fishing and I really like sharing my personal knowledge to try and help all those others. I may not be the best but I certainly met two of the best on the water.

6. Member
    Thank you for the kind words. I am happy i met you at the launch and always enjoy running into on the water. And as far as ever needing help i consider you a friend and when a friend has my phone number it doesn't matter the time of day if they ever need a hand and i can help they can call. So if you have my number and you can always call me. Thanks again for the kind words.

7. Member
    Amen to the last two posts. I haven't fished the yough yet but am wildly anticipating my first trip in the 3rd week of Sept. Probably fish DCL one day and the next two on the yough - graphing and learning. And hopefully catching a few.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    After 42 years of marriage I am "considering" teaching my wife how to drive the boat. Maybe I should have started earlier? Maybe I'm hesitant because she's totaled 3 cars? Tough decision.

9. Member
    I would be hesitant to ride with her while teaching. LOL . Chris1009 let me know when you are going. That is my home lake and i will most likely be down there. It is a fun lake to fish and it can be tough also. With it being a flood control lake it can be difficult running in the fall. Just because you see water doesn't mean there is much water there. So be careful running.

10. Member
    Thanks man. I would turn right from the 40 ramp or put in by the damn and fish there. I have old maps from google that show the lake way down so I'd run based on that. But appreciate the offer for help. Don't need to know your spots :) but patterns would be awesome and I can piece it together from there. Thanks to John Brewer, I've come to learn DCL very well, so I'm happy to share intel there as well. Thanks again.

11. Member
    Chris1009 sent you a PM