Banned

Another 250 proXs dies

Alex, I'll take cylinder number 6 for $17000 please. Time to go shopping and weigh my options.9395.jpeg
    Last edited by Phisherman; 09-07-2020 at 03:26 PM.

2. Member
    Sorry to hear this!
    Since its #6, then my guess is cold seize. Did it window the block?

3. Banned
    Nope, no cold seize. Engine was completely warmed up before pulling out of the ramp. Was on a approximately 7 mile run, third run of the day. Looking at the plug I am guessing the cylinder may have leaned out. Started slowing down, could hear a knock, shut it off while still moving. All I did yesterday was pull plugs, confirm my suspicions are put the plugs back in. Restarted briefly w/o issues, other than rod knock. I may rebuild. Haven't decided yet. Blow up was planned for. Its a 2 stroke.
    Last edited by Phisherman; 09-08-2020 at 07:16 AM.

4. Member
    How many hours. Mine started running bad at 600. Found out the fuel system was making it run lean. Which means pop. Don says to clean all system at 400 hours. Just wondering if this could be causing these issues we are seeing. My mech said if I hadn't caught mine it would have.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    How many hours. Mine started running bad at 600. Found out the fuel system was making it run lean. Which means pop. Don says to clean all system at 400 hours. Just wondering if this could be causing these issues we are seeing. My mech said if I hadn't caught mine it would have.
    When I put the last lower unit on, hours on the engine were high 200's. Not that that makes a difference.

6. ourflat
    Dang, I was considering repowering my Ranger with this line.

Frank

7. Banned
    Follow up. Engine will be dropped off at 7 Lakes on Friday for a rebuild. Looking for a quick turn around now. Got 3 weeks before next tournament.
    Last edited by Phisherman; 09-08-2020 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    Nope, no cold seize. Engine was completely warmed up before pulling out of the ramp. Was on a approximately 7 mile run, third run of the day. Looking at the plug I am guessing the cylinder may have leaned out. Started slowing down, could hear a knock, shut it off while still moving. All I did yesterday was pull plugs, confirm my suspicions are put the plugs back in. Restarted briefly w/o issues, other than rod knock. I may rebuild. Haven't decided yet. Blow up was planned for. Its a 2 stroke.
    Still could have been caused by an earlier event causing piston damage that led to this failure. Careful inspection of the damage may tell the story, Be sure to find the cause of the failure to avoid a repeat
    Have Don (Integrity Injection check out the the complete fuel rails for the replacement motor as well
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    Follow up. Engine will be dropped off at 7 Lakes on Friday for a rebuild. Looking for a quick turn around now. Got 3 weeks before next tournament.
    Good Luck.....Don't forget your going to need time to Break-In the new motor before hammering it in a Tournament, at least 4 hours @ around 4000 RPM, stretched over 2 days (for best results).

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Still could have been caused by an earlier event causing piston damage that led to this failure. Careful inspection of the damage may tell the story, Be sure to find the cause of the failure to avoid a repeat
    Have Don (Integrity Injection check out the the complete fuel rails for the replacement motor as well
    Anything is possible, for sure. Cold seize issue from earlier events not likely seeing how I was on the third run of the day and these were long runs. My thoughts are that the cylinder went lean, which will be either verified or not verified when the rails are tested. Head removal will give some clues also.

Rail system will be taken care of at 7 Lakes. They have the capability to perform rail testing in house and make necessary adjustments as needed. No need to start shipping stuff all over the place. Estimated turn around time 2 weeks,start to finish once work starts this Friday. I have been doing business with 7 Lakes for several years so I dont think there will be any unexpected issues. My plan was to take it to Jeff from the get go. I did call other places just to see what kind of answers I would get to questions and they ranged from just total bs to what appeared to be a total lack of confidence in their ability to do the job, and have confidence in the repairs. Second guessing. Most wanted to put dressed power heads on to eliminate their percentage of liability if either their work or diagnosis was somewhat shady, for lack of a better description.

I will do the break in at the lake of the upcoming tournament if all goes as planned.

I decided to stay with the 2 stroke for several reasons. 13 yrs and no engine related failure was the biggest. Lower units on the other hand, that's a different story in itself

11. Member
    3yr warranty available on dressed powerhead , all external parts included that are sold as new oem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    Go to a new 4 Stroke and don't look back...

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Alex... I'll take "Cold Seize" for "six". Warmed up at the ramp doesn't help the engine on the second or third run of the day. Engine must reach operating temp EVERY time it's started.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Banned
    Engine has been disassembled and as originally thought, no cold seize evidence. Sleeve is as smooth as a baby's a$$, nor is there any sign of sleeve rotation. Issue occurred on the exhaust side of the piston. Will be rebuilt with a bore of .020 and new air and fuel injectors on that cylinder. the other 5 cylinder injectors will be checked and evaluated before reassembly. Head is fine also. More info when available, if need be.

15. Member
    Engine has been disassembled and as originally thought, no cold seize evidence. Sleeve is as smooth as a baby's a$$, nor is there any sign of sleeve rotation. Issue occurred on the exhaust side of the piston. Will be rebuilt with a bore of .020 and new air and fuel injectors on that cylinder. the other 5 cylinder injectors will be checked and evaluated before reassembly. Head is fine also. More info when available, if need be.
    If the cylinder showed no signs of a cold seize, then why .020 oversize bore on cylinder #6.

No surprise there as that is where piston will start melting first when clearance is lost, such as a cold seize on two stroke
    Thank You Leon Pugh

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    If the cylinder showed no signs of a cold seize, then why .020 oversize bore on cylinder #6.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor