ourflat

Removing Old Keel Guard Adhesive

This was an interesting undertaking. I removed the old keel guard with a heat gun only to find the adhesive still attached to the boat keel where the old guard was attached. I quickly ran through my arsenal of WD-40, Goo Be Gone, gas, acetone, and the like until I was exhausted. Nothing seem to work with my sharp plastic scraper to remove the old adhesive. After a long google search I came upon a product made by 3M that was in stock at my local Advance Auto Supply. This 3M adhesive removal wheel is a little pricey but well worth it’s weight in gold! Within an hour I had removed all the thick adhesive residue on a 8’ section of my keel with very little effort: amazing product to say the least!

Frank

2. Member
    Agree 100%. Local marine shop recommended one of those wheels to me since the boat I bought was missing the keelguard, but still had that residue. I had a harder time keeping batteries for my drilled charged than I did actually removing the crap from the hull.

Dynabrade makes a pretty cool tool we use in the shop that is a 3M eraser wheel on steroids ..... but it’s around 400 bucks.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com