Making a rod grip smaller?

I know nothing about this. I buy rods that I like and use them. I recently got good information on making one larger. I bought it on this site and didn’t know that the grip was as small as it was.

I have gotten 2 ultra lite rods that I want to use some this fall. They have fat cork grips and I have short fingers. I don’t want to ruin them but can’t use them the way they are. Would sanding them be a viable option?

Are they cork? Then yes, you can sand them. Go slowly and try your best to keep them as round as possible. And avoid the rougher grades of sandpaper because they will have a tendency to cut too fast and also leave gouges that you can't get out.

You can sand down EVA to shape it also.

On cork, you will most likely end up with pits visible. Do a finish sand with 220 grit, fill the pits with Golden Oak colored wood filler (cork is a type of wood) and then sand again with 220 grit to even it out. Grips should look pretty good. I mention using Golden Oak color because it's the closest to cork in color.

4. Goby King
    Something not mentioned above. Some cork grips are cork veneer over foam. You really don't know til you dive into it. I encountered this on multiple rods worked on over the years. One time, the cork pattern was printed on paper and glued over foam!

Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    Something not mentioned above. Some cork grips are cork veneer over foam. You really don't know til you dive into it. I encountered this on multiple rods worked on over the years. One time, the cork pattern was printed on paper and glued over foam!
    WOW. In all my years I've never seen or even heard of that. Completely stupid way of doing a handle.

6. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    WOW. In all my years I've never seen or even heard of that. Completely stupid way of doing a handle.
    All about the $$$. I'll look for the pics I took of the veneer over foam. I was surprised. Especially since it was to be a full grip to split grip conversion. I had to build new grips.

7. Goby King
    Veneer over tan EVA.

Yep. Gotta be profit generated.

Now I remember why I only did complete builds and never did any repair work.

9. Member
    Thanks for the tips. I’ve had hand surgery so it will be a while before I tackle them.