New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Weed growth or lack off in area lakes and ponds???

I've noticed in our area ponds and lakes a lot of the coontail beds have been disappearing , I know weeds do not always grow in the same areas and stuff every year but where they once was big areas of coontail now have nearly none or very little and the weeds are already seem to be dying off a little to early, I think for normal circumstance??? Could it be something in the rain or weather conditions or lack of rain and water levels anyone have any ideas??? this has happened in at least 5 or 6 ponds and lakes not just one.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    Noticed the same thing down here also. The weeds are not where they were last year or are not as thick!

The weeds are dying, I am finding less and less fish in the weeds. I am finding them on the outside/inside edge more cranking, chatterbaiting. Might also be why I finding LM on deeper breaks? I don Know, but patterning them has been odd.

4. Banned
    Moved to central Massachusetts in 1970 and have fished many local lakes and ponds ever since. The fishing used to be excellent. My wife would "dig" me about spending money on fishing trips to places like Florida where I would, many times, struggle to catch fish only to return home, drive 15 minutes to one of my local waters, and load the boat.
    That was then. Over the years I've watched as lake home owners have battled the "weed wars". Kill the weeds/save the weeds on and on. Well, it's plain to me that the weed killers are winning. The majority of my favorite fishin holes have become almost weedless and, predictably, fishless. Some places in the south, recognizing the importance of the revenues brought to their areas by fisherman, would nurture their fish habitat like a mom with a newborn. Northern states not so much. And now even the South has taken to seemingly "scorched earth" indiscriminate tactics against anything green in and around formerly productive lakes and rivers.
    I've been blessed with many years of pleasure chasing the little green fishes but I worry that my kids, grandkids, and great grandkids may not be so fortunate. Doesn't mean much to a lot of folks but it saddens me deeply.

They are poisoning the shit out of every lake and killing the wrong “weeds” ..coontail seems to be long gone in most lakes along with Lilly pad fields .. now replaced with “muck carpets “ as I call them all over the lakes

6. Member
    The old "I'm from the government, where here to help you" kinda stuff.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC