Couple questions regarding livewell

1. Livewell keeps having 3” of water or so in it when not in use. Why and how do I get it out on the water when I want no water inside?

2. Can someone explain the livewell operation to me please? I have the toggle switch that says timed and manual. Then I have the thing on the right that says empty, recirc, and auto (I think), THEN there’s the red valve inside the livewell that pops in and out. I don’t really know what any of it means.

2. Member
    Oh bonus question. Why do I have a couple cups of water come out after taking the plug out? Like today, was on the water 5 hours.

I thought maybe the plug wasn’t sealing good but that’s not it. Then I thought maybe a little splash over stern when stopping (although I always try not to let that happen but it occasionally does a little). My back deck right on front of the ladder has about a 5” section that flexes and doesn’t appear to be attached to the transom. Maybe this is where water gets in? Can’t get anyone from Vexus to answer me on this. Sent them a video.
    I’m just praying there’s no crack in the hull somewhere.

3. Member
    Did you have ice in the cooler? Cooler may drain into the bilge.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

4. Member
    No sir

Put the plug in your boat. Put water in bilge area with a hose. Get that bilge full of water and and now start looking for your leak. My guess is you have a bad or cracked fitting going to your live well. If your drain plug isn’t seating well or you have a crack in the hull you will see it. Good luck !

The red valve/sprayer in your live well is used to fill the live in the pushed in position. Pull it out and it pumps water out of your live well. You also have an open or closed position switch. It does just that. You close the valve to fill up the live well. Open it to drain the live well.
    Last edited by ifishinxs; 09-07-2020 at 08:28 AM.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    Before you go on the water you need to switch the valve to "Recirculate" then no water should enter. If it does then you have a problem for the dealer.
    If you have water in the live well and you are on the trailer then switch the valve to empty and it will drain out without turning the pump on.
    That is how mine operates anyway.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

7. Member
    Ok thanks. I’ve always left It on empty.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    Ok thanks. I’ve always left It on empty.
    The water will get sucked out when the boat is moving in the empty setting. Before coming off plane, switch it to recirc

9. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    1. Livewell keeps having 3” of water or so in it when not in use. Why and how do I get it out on the water when I want no water inside?

2. Can someone explain the livewell operation to me please? I have the toggle switch that says timed and manual. Then I have the thing on the right that says empty, recirc, and auto (I think), THEN there’s the red valve inside the livewell that pops in and out. I don’t really know what any of it means.
    Having a little water in the live is normal, you will get water forced into the livewell thru the drain when the boat is moving backwards.

1. Switch - Manual - This means the pump will always run
    2. Switch - Timed - this will have the livewell pump run every few minutes

3. Value - Recirculate - once the livewell is full, you can switch the valve to Recirculate - this will add no fresh water to the livewell but will keep the livewell water recirculating
    4. Value - Empty - Opens the drain and allows the water to flow out.
    5. Valve - Auto - this option will keep adding fresh lake water as the pump runs

6. Head Valve - When this Head valve is in the "Open" position it will allow the livewell pump to add water to the livewell thru a direct jet
    - When the head valve is in the "Closed" position it will close of the livewell and pump the livewell water out of the boat thru the livewell ejection port .

hope this helps

10. Member
    i keep mine on recirculate and i stays bone dry.
    2019 AVX1980 Sumit White
    150hp Evinrude Etec G2
    Ultrex
    Garmin Echomap ultra 106sv bow/console
    Joined the revolution 10/25/19

11. Member
    Don't think I have ever had a boat that did not have some water in the bilge. So many places that can leak just a little bit. Plug, live well plumbing, motor mounting bolts, live well itself, back wash and of course the hull. Would not worry about a cup or 2 but keep an eye on it.

12. Member
    A bit of water in the bilge is like paint missing off the lower unit, if you use it, both will happen.

2016 BassCat Puma
    250 SHO

13. Member
    Good deal. Was out the other day for three hours or so and had no water so who knows. The recirculate thing kept the livewell dry too!
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS