Champion 230-RV??

Hello all thank you for the add. Im looking for any and all info on my Champion. We're currently doing some work to get her back to shape and I was curious if the Bass Boat Community would have any info that I could use. According to banks/insurance/even boat accessory manufacturers this boat never existed? My bank tried to argue that it is not a Champion at all. Its a 2001 Champion 230-RV 23FT. We know from HIN that it was produced in 01 in Mountain Home, AR, in its first (only?) manufacture year... Ive attached a photo of her, hopefully I was successful. Thank you in advance!!
    - Travis S
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by championnewguy; 09-07-2020 at 07:27 AM.

2. Member
    I can check my catalog when I get home but Champion made many saltwater models like that.

3. Member
    I'd appreciate that thanks! I know they had a 230 but I haven't found the RV designation. I've seen saltwater models in photos but not with the rolled gunnel, maybe they were just not noticeable in pics. Im more or less wondering why no one has it listed in their models that Champion produced.

4. Pat Goff
    Hmm.
    I don't ever recall champion ever building a rolled edge CC.
    Give us the HIN, let's see what comes back.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

5. Member
    Hey Pat, HIN is TBS34612D101. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member

7. Pat Goff
    Well...hate to say it, but you've been fooled Mt. Home champs start with TSB, yours is TBS, which is someone else entirely. That's a low trick to put the Champ decals on the side. Here's what you've got.

Success! TBS34612D101 is of the standard HIN type called Current-Format HIN. If you are buying this boat/craft then you should get the Boat-Alert History for 19.99$ from this certified boat history report provider.

TBS HIN Decoder
    Our HULL ID Decoder breaks down the Hull identification number into the following information:
    The HIN or CIN you have entered meets the Current-Format HIN format. It might also be a type that contains the country code and thus the boat comes from USA or Other . The serial number of the HIN is 34612 and is set by the boat builder. This boat or vessel has a Certification Date of (1) and a Model Year of 2001 with month of build (April) based on the formatting of your hull_identification_number (HIN) .

The manufacturer identification code (MIC) of your craft identification number (CIN or HIN) is TBS. This MIC (TBS) stands for the company name Tallahatchie Boats Llc which is currently Out of Business. This boat manufacturer has other company names (TBS sometimes goes by these name(s) The Boat Shop (oob), , , or ).

This company (Tallahatchie Boats Llc) is owned by Richard Wright and is located at Po Box 423 in Charleston state of Ms. It manufactured this vessel and placed your HIN or CIN on the hull. This Boat maker is not owned by a parent company. Tallahatchie Boats Llc has started making boats, yachts and other watercraft as of 8/10/2007 and went out of business on (9/2/2009) in the following country: USA
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

8. Member
    Is it possible that this could be incorrect? The boat motor and trailer all line up to the same year and the trailer also has champion markings. They all show sold from Creola, AL

9. Member
    Im not sure how the HIN would show 2001 if that manufacturer started in 07. Im sure there's something Im not understanding lol sorry for my incompetence but how would that be?

10. Member
    Here’s some cheap advice.

if you like the boat, don’t worry about what brand it is and go fishing. If you bought it because you thought it was a Champion, I’d send a nastygram to whomever sold it to you, because that ain’t a Champion.

Out of curiosity, what does the title say?

11. Member
    Yeah I think you're right. It was bought in AL and that title also said Champion. It was transferred to FL and now says Champion. Unfortunately, I don't think either of those states actually check HIN numbers. This raises so many questions as to at what point along the way did someone do that lol I'll most likely remove any badges and wet sand it down to a no-name hull.

12. Pat Goff
    Well it looks like a decent rolled edge boat. I’ve rigged a fleet of Kenner and Nitro hulls which yours looks real close to.
    So since there’s no champ any more who can argue with a third cousin that showed up to the reunion?
    So shout if you need help with rigging or setup.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

13. Member
    Here is a screenshot of an article from Louisiana that specifically mentions this model boat as a giveaway from the Coastal Conservation Association in 2001. The year of my hull. We've also found numerous authentic Champion pieces on the boat. The trailer, seat cushions, the entire console, the nameplate on the transom. This isn't the only mention we've found of this model on the internet. There are two more that we've seen in other forums. Tell me what you think?Screenshot_20200911-234536_Chrome.jpg

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Most everything on your hull is subbed out. Cushions, trailer, gauges etc. The hull itself would come from the factories molds. Nothing listed on the NADA site for your hull. As Pat said it does kind of remind me of a Kenner.

15. Member
    We all feel the same way. Going to pick up a cover for it and using a 24ft Kenner for the dimensions.

16. Pat Goff
    When I was in high school, guys would put Z/28 emblems on their 327 powerglide camaro.
    Nowadays we're told you're whatever you identify as, so if you want it to be a champ, you've already got the stickers.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

17. Member
    Haha! I guess you're right Pat. Very weird indeed.