Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. ourflat
    Homes are sold and hardly make it to advertising around me on Cherokee Lake. Folks are buying land and building from scratch...! I purchase my piece of heaven before the prices went through the roof!

Frank

2. Member
    In the same boat for Hartwell. Stepping back for now to see if the market cools off again as the pricing is getting out of hand right now.

Sellers market I would wait but that's me.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

4. Member
    I was in this very scenario two years ago at Clear Lake Ca. To make matters even worse there is arguably only one area worth buying into or to put it another way there is one area that is "highly prefered"

After losing out on several offers we bought in the prefered area of the lake and the ramp is a 60 second drive from my gate.
    All in all we are happy and things worked out in the end

5. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Living on a lake

6. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Sometimes you just need to be in the right place at the right time and have a little bit of luck on your side. We purchased a place on the St Lawrence River back in June. We saw the sign on the lawn when driving by on our way to look at another property but we didn't see the property listed online anywhere. We had our agent check into it that day and it turns out the selling agent had flagged the property as sold when there was only a conditional offer on it that could be bid against. This meant other agents weren't actively showing the property because they thought it was sold. So we arranged to make another 3 hr drive to see the place the day after we saw the sign and placed an offer that day for $5K over asking and with no other conditions and 48 hrs to accept or reject. The people who made the original offer had a lot of conditions and couldn't match our offer so we got the house. We're expecting the people who put the original offer in to come by and egg our house one day.....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

7. Member
    Always some for sale on Pickwick. Always expensive too! A lot to build on vary from 10,000 to 125,000 dollars. I live on 2 1/2 acres but I can’t step off my porch and put my feet in the water. I have to walk 100 yards. I join boundaries with TVA so nobody can build in front of me,which is nice. Don’t have a dock and don’t want one. Just something else to keep up. Ramp is 300 yards from my driveway. Good enough for me. Very secluded and private. Only one visible neighbor and he is a pain in the azz just like me.

Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    you might be on to something,i own a lot on private lake 300 acres and seems like all lake front owners do is work on docks,and yard work instead of fishing and enjoying the water
    This is me.
    Mike Wright '07 Ranger 520vx
    Henrico Va./Henrico NC.

9. Member
    I always wanted waterfront property but have come to realize it would come with to many sacrifices for me. One it's gotten silly expensive to own where I live and really almost everywhere. Those silly high prices also come with much higher taxes. I would be getting less land and less privacy and paying 1.5- 2 times what my house costs. I would most likely not get anywhere near as much sq/ft of garage space as I have now. Where I live they are all small ponds so fishing it would become boring real fast. Finding something with a first floor master suite is near impossible which is now a must for me. I feel like the wife and I make very good money but life and cost of living here just keep out pacing us and make me feel like I am going backwards.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    My parents knew lakefront property was a sound investment and first bought on Hartwell in the 60's. That is why I have a lakefront house now. I am thankful for their wise investment. My house and dock are not fancy but I do have a great view on a point lot.

11. Member
    we are trying to buy beach front or second row and its the same thing. its a buyers market as low as the rates are right now.

12. Member
    We purchased our one acre lot on Guntersville in 2006. Our boathouse will be finished in approximately three weeks. The cabin will come in the next three years. We had to take the piece meal approach so that this whole endeavor was affordable for us. We probably would not have been able to afford a turnkey purchase on Guntersville because we consider it quite expensive.
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

13. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    A lot on lake Martin across the street from my parents house sold in one day for $750,000 dollars. They probably could have gotten a million if they asked it. It was a car every 5 minutes stopping to look at it for a week. My parents paid $400,000 for theirs 6 years ago and I thought that was crazy of them, that’s what the market was then. I have been trying to close on a lot to build us a new house on in town for three weeks. The closing attorneys are so busy they can’t even return emails for a couple of days. We sold our house last week and the attorney said it was his 7th closing of the day and had been like that and saw no slowing down. It is unreal right now.
    Last edited by GOTTA BIG SACK; 09-07-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

My wife and I have tried to buy 3 lake homes and have missed on all of them. 2 sold sold when we were on the way down to look at them. We were going to be the first to see it. One house sold sight unseen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    We discovered that waterfront would get us way less land and about $100,00-150,0000 more as a minimum. We decided about 3 minutes from the ramp was just fine.....
    Couldn’t agree more

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

16. Member
    We purchased our lakefront lot in 2015 for 220K, the lot next door just sold for 495K, another property two doors down from us is listed at 700K, the home on it needs to be torched and dozed. Lakefront lots on popular lakes are getting harder and harder to find.

Quote Originally Posted by b4uk View Post
    Sitting in my lake house right now on Sinclair. There still is a lot of deals here. This lake will be 25-30% less than Lanier. Depends on what you are looking for. But they ain’t building any new reservoirs.
    I'm on Commodore drive , where you at ?

18. Member
    I heard that the properties on Chickamauga will drop like a rock when the Asian Carp start maturing.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

19. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    I heard that the properties on Chickamauga will drop like a rock when the Asian Carp start maturing.
    That is probably true.... a lot of homes for sale on Kentucky and Barkley Lakes currently.

There has always been a lot available, but prices are currently lower.

20. Member
    Have you checked Lake Wiley in SC? Last time I went there I saw dozens of lakefront homes for sale.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast