Mercury Year Model

Can you tell me what year my Mercury 4-Stroke motor is by the Serial number? Thanks!

2B736469
    2004 Ranger 521VX Comanche
    2020 Mercury Pro XS FourStroke
    www.stevenfelderfishing.com
    StevenFelderFishing@live.com
    Steven Felder
    Manning, SC

WhT ever year it wAs purchased in and registered
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    The serial number will give its production date, Mercury does not use model years.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

4. Member
    Thanks guys for the help. I bought the motor in April 2020, but when I got my motor registration from DNR they listed the motor as 2019. When I transferred my insurance to the motor State Farm has it listed as a 2020. Just wanted to make sure all my paperwork has the same year model.
    2004 Ranger 521VX Comanche
    2020 Mercury Pro XS FourStroke
    www.stevenfelderfishing.com
    StevenFelderFishing@live.com
    Steven Felder
    Manning, SC

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    The serial number will give its production date, Mercury does not use model years.
    ^^^^

Exactly! Production date yes, "model year" no.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Yeah I have never figured it out, My title says 2021 Mercury. My last boat was the current year on the motor. so had a 2018 motor with a 2019 boat. Weather the title's were right or wrong, i do not know.
    Last edited by BMCD; 09-11-2020 at 07:58 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    My motor has the month/year of production on the S/N label, maybe they changed that.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

IMO it can be very misleading and know of one case where it caused some legal action and very hard feelings ! I'll not buy a motor as new that wasn't built the same year as the boat unless disclosed by the seller and discounted as to date of manufacture.
    I've often wondered how many years a motor can sit in the box and legally be sold as the current year model ? One year? Two years ? five years ? Bottom line-- KNOW WHAT YOUR GETTING..

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    IMO it can be very misleading and know of one case where it caused some legal action and very hard feelings ! I'll not buy a motor as new that wasn't built the same year as the boat unless disclosed by the seller and discounted as to date of manufacture.
    I've often wondered how many years a motor can sit in the box and legally be sold as the current year model ? One year? Two years ? five years ? Bottom line-- KNOW WHAT YOUR GETTING..
    So the 2021 boats that have been out for months should sit barren till January 15 so they can have 2021 motors but on them?
    come on, what ever truck you drive the motor was probably made a month earlier. The boat is made and sold new with (point at that motor) it's the original motor to the boat. The boats a 2021 and the motor was registered in 2020, so it's a 2020.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

lets try this one--- You buy a 2021 year model boat this coming January . the dealer still has a motor with a production date of July 2019 he puts on your 2021 boat. Now you have a 2021 boat with a mtr built in mid 2019 I wouldn't buy a truck like that either.

'
    ll not buy a motor as new that wasn't built the same year as the boat

If I bought a 2021 boat right now I would take a Motor built in THE SAME YEAR
    A new boat built after June can still be sold as the next year model but also has the production date in the serial number.
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 09-11-2020 at 10:40 AM.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    lets try this one--- You buy a 2021 year model boat this coming January . the dealer still has a motor with a production date of July 2019 he puts on your 2021 boat. Now you have a 2021 boat with a mtr built in mid 2019 I wouldn't buy a truck like that either.

'

If I bought a 2021 boat right now I would take a Motor built in THE SAME YEAR
    A new boat built after June can still be sold as the next year model but also has the production date in the serial number.

Since it's still a current model number, and sold with a full factory warranty, it's still a new motor. This isn't something "new"... it's been this way for many, many years. THIS is the primary reason that you have to provide your engine serial number in the forums.

Steven- your engine, Serial# 2B736469 was "born" 11/18/2019.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Yes Sir- I remember. Some dealers were elated, now they could sell old inventory motors at current prices including a possible price increase. Unlike last years boat or a (new) vehicle that sat on the lot for two years. Dealers don't call them the current year model and get full price even though they also have a full warranty and there still (new). They will be discounted to get em gone.
    No doubt the date of manufacture (serial number) is needed for work. When a problem is detected it gets rectified. My new motor had two bulletin's before It was mounted!
    I'm trying to inform board members that aren't aware.. Your (new) motor was possibly built several years before the (new) boat. May never be an issue unless your DNR is like Stephen's or when you trade and the new buyer is informed.
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 09-14-2020 at 08:17 AM.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes Sir- I remember. Some dealers were elated, now they could sell old inventory motors at current prices including a possible price increase. Unlike last years boat or a (new) vehicle that sat on the lot for two years. Dealers don't call them the current year model and get full price even though they also have a full warranty and there still (new). They will be discounted to get em gone.
    No doubt the date of manufacture (serial number) is needed for work. When a problem is detected it gets rectified. My new motor had two bulletin's before It was mounted!
    I'm trying to inform board members that aren't aware.. Your (new) motor was possibly built several years before the (new) boat. May never be an issue unless your DNR is like Stephen's or when you trade and the new buyer is informed.
    For most 75hp and higher models... it's not very likely that dealers are going to have engines sitting around for an extended period (given market demand it's more the exact opposite in most cases).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    For most 75hp and higher models... it's not very likely that dealers are going to have engines sitting around for an extended period (given market demand it's more the exact opposite in most cases).
    Your right- and it's great that the demand for now is still exceeding the supply. Some dealers have empty lots and can't get new boats. However thats not always been the case and it will catch up.. Especially a few years from now when all the one time Covid buyers wife gets tired of the payments and insurance.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar