Rub marks Ulterra shaft

I partially deployed my Ulterra to clean out some gunk in the mechanism and was surprised to see these rub or wear marks on the shaft just above the motor. The rest of the shaft that you can see and lube when motor is stowed don't have these marks. Has anyone else seen this and I wonder if it's even cause for concern? Motor is 2 years old
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RichW; 09-06-2020 at 03:42 PM.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

2. Member
    Is that where the steering mechanism turns the shaft? What are you using to lube the shaft? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Is that where the steering mechanism turns the shaft? What are you using to lube the shaft? Bob
    the bottom of the pic is the top of the motor, I've never lubed this area because it's inside the steering mechanism when motor is retracted. I use a CRC water based silicon spray lube

USAF Ret

4. Member
    That is the correct lube. Looked like foam on the motor.(I spray the rag and wipe on) Can't say I paid any attention to that area but I don't remember that rough area. One of the 2 motor repair guys will let you know I am sure. Bob

5. Member
    I can not remember the correct distance the motor housing is suppose to be from the steer module in the stored position. I don't see a lot of Ulterras in the shop. There is something not right with the steering housing for it to cause this to happen. I would take it to the nearest shop and have them look at the steering housing to see if the bottom part of where the shaft comes out has any burrs on it. This is the first time I have seen this. It appears that maybe the trim module is trying to pull the motor assembly to high onto the mount, But if it is it would give an alarm when it torqued out.

I have seen a lesser amount of wear on many terrovas and my current ultrex, the only deal is the terrova and ultrex have a collar that is a keyway to exert for of steering to the shaft, since they can be firmly tightened down there is less wear, but is still there just like that, just not as bad.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    Talked to Minnkota today, solution is to take to service center because wear is not normal. I couldn't pin the guy down but he seemed to be concerned with water intrusion into the composite shaft as a result of the abnormal wear. Does that make sense?

USAF Ret

8. Member
    Have not noticed any on mine, but mine is started making a noise while going up and down. Almost like a ratcheting sound.

9. Member
    Rich Yes it does. Abnormal where will eventually cause water intrusion. I would bring it in and they will probably take care of it. Shaft and steer module.

Geo: If your trim module or steer motor is making a ratchet noise. I would bring it in to ASC and have them look at it. If it where me I would change out the trim module and possibly the steer module also.

10. Member
    This may be Mute at this point but I checked out my 3 YO Ulterra shaft and it is shiny,end to end. Bob