02 Tourn V18 new TM and FF install

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any comments. I am looking for some experienced opinions on a couple installs I will be doing on a recently acquired V18 Tournament.

I am competent at all phases of the installation and have the tools to accomplish the tasks, but I don't have the end user experience to determine where I might get the most benefit.

Currently has a basic Eagle 3xx FF and a MotorGuide 12v foot steer (cable). One Optimax Bluetop for the TM and an Everstart something or other for starting and the basic electrical devices (bilge, livewell, FF)

For the trolling motor:
    I have a 24V MinnKota Edge 70 I picked up cheap when Gander Mt shut their doors that I will be installing. It appears there is plenty of room in the bow area to put two 12V batteries. I could fabricate a battery holding area with access door under the forward fishing deck. I don't think there is a weight distribution issue adding the second TM battery to the rear, but the forward location might be a plus? The existing boat wiring for the TM is 12/24, but the wire gauge for the front to rear runs would probably benefit from an upgrade.....so with that in mind a new front battery compartment might only add up to slightly more effort than new wire to the stern.

Either way I need two 12V batteries for the TM. I have the one BlueTop already. For discussion, let's assume it's fairly new. Thoughts on picking up a second, roughly $300, or maybe consider 2 new batteries that would cost the same or even less and repurpose the existing BlueTop to pick up electronics duty? That leads to the next Q?

FishFinder Install:

I have a Garmin EchoMap Plus 94sv with the GT51 transducer in the box waiting to be installed. The current little 4" (maybe) Eagle is mounted on the right just outside the steering console. At first thought I was just going to put the Garmin in its place. I have a large RAM mount for the install once its location is determined.

Longer term I would like a screen at the bow and a screen at the helm (I think). This is tough for me. I really don't know a lot about how I will use the FF as I haven't any experience using one ever. BTW I will be fishing freshwater inland like Finger Lakes in NY and smaller. It occurs to me that I will first mainly use it for reading structure and contour. I'm not sure how long it will take me to be able to see fish on the various options offered.

So if the Garmin is the only screen on the boat, is the side of the console a reasonable place? I fish with my son and he is usually at the bow and I work off the rear deck. With the Ram mount, I think the rear deck will have OK visibility to the screen. Not sure if the bow is too far if the screen were turned.

Does it make any sense to dedicate a single battery to the screen?

Thanks

2. Member
    I previously owned a TV18. I had 3 batteries in the rear, and the boat fished
    pretty much level/flat. I think putting your batteries in the bow will kill the lift.
    LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

3. Member
    If you had it set up that way and didn't find it too light in the front or out of balance, that's the kind useful info I am looking for.

Thanks.

4. Member
    These boats originally came w/a 12V TM. A battery on each side in the back.
    I wanted a 12/24 motor which required the additional battery. I put it in the
    passenger side rear compartment. This unbalanced the boat when I had a partner.
    I solved the balance problem by removing the rear fishing seat base deck and built a rack
    in the hull that held all 3 Optima batteries. Balance accomplished. Now I had 2 empty storage
    compartments. The deck panels in these boats are all screwed in place, so access to
    any area is easy.
    Front to rear balance on these hulls is not a problem, its the port to starboard thats tricky.
    Even with the batteries centered low, when I sat behind the wheel the boat listed to the drivers side. I corrected that problem by putting 50 lbs of lead shot under the passengers side seat,
    when I fished alone.
    This boat fished flatter and w/less wind problems than any aluminum boat that I had ever owned, and that is several.
    The Lund I own now is just a bigger version in some ways as the TV 18 and is much more stable when I am moving around in it. When you get 73 your stability and agility is not what it once was, so minor details to some, means a lot to me. You will enjoy your TV 18
    BTW there is a Tracker TV18 owners group on Face book thats just started. LDS
    Last edited by Great Scott; 09-07-2020 at 09:51 AM.

UHD 93SV at the console.

5. Member
    Thanks for the great response Larry. I very much appreciate your taking the time.

6. Member
    If you need further help send me a PM w/you ph no, and I'll call.
    LDS

UHD 93SV at the console.