Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How will the draw down affect Eufaula in November?

I need to get away from SC and the herring lakes! I was thinking Eufaula where I can junk fish down the bank but the draw down has me second guessing. What's every ones opinion a good lake to frog and flip in November? thanks

2. Member
    I don't think Eufaula has a "rule" draw down. http://www.lakeeufaula.info That will show you current level and historical information.
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

3. Member
    I had heard they were going to pull the lake down to repair the dam? Thanks for the website I’ll keep an eye on it.

4. Member
    You are correct. They are indeed dropping it to 186' or about 3' down. I wonder if covid will change these plans.

https://www.usace.army.mil/Media/New...-f-george-dam/
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

5. Member
    3' is a lot on Eufuala.

6. Member
    Coosa river. Each lake can fish a little different. There's a good jerkbait and spinnerbait bite on Mitchell and Jordan. Lay lake for frogging and flipping. Logan for boat docks. Neely Henry for shallow cranking. Weiss for tearing up your boat.
    Joey Aderhold

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaderhold View Post
    Coosa river. Each lake can fish a little different. There's a good jerkbait and spinnerbait bite on Mitchell and Jordan. Lay lake for frogging and flipping. Logan for boat docks. Neely Henry for shallow cranking. Weiss for tearing up your boat.
    Thanks! Lay lake was my back up lake. Looks like I’ll be going there.

8. Member
    Yup, 3' draw down for 6 weeks, starting the draw first of this month. Repairing hurricane damage at the dam from 2018.

Last trip I took down there with Tone357 it was a little over 1' above full and we went from 45' to 5' in ONE boat length! Yep, we did just that!
    (Thankfully we were on the TM, but literally right at a channel marker.)
    With the draw down, that'll be 41' to DIRT!

I wouldn't expect it to be back to full pool till maybe mid/late November at best.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

We are supposed to go next Friday, Saturday, and Sunday but aren't sure what this storm coming in will do.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
    We are supposed to go next Friday, Saturday, and Sunday but aren't sure what this storm coming in will do.
    Boy I think I'd stay home!

I'm in Atlanta and they're saying 4"+ end of the week.

Of course a bad day fishing is better than..... yeah.... pretty much anything else. But fishing in a hurricane... might have to call into work. (And I don't even work!)
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

11. Dogfish_Jones
    I’m hoping that the stormy part will be over by Friday. I can fish in the rain with no problem. I can take wind up until the white caps are everywhere.
    I have our club tournament on Logan Martin, Saturday so I’m keeping a close eye out as this storms rolls through. It was coming straight through Birmingham but now they say it will go just south.
    If it gets gone by Friday, it should be fine, I like fishing muddy waters, plus the dams might be running more often which is very good on the Coosa chain of lakes.

12. Member
    Id come back in the spring when the water is up. They are already working on getting it back down to 185.5.

13. Member
    Fished Eufaula on 2 Oct. 2020. Launched from Thomas Mill and stayed lower lake all day. I would say the water level is a little lower than 3'. It seemed almost 5-6' low everywhere I went. Water temps were in the high 70's to low 80's and stained to muddy most areas. Fished definitely pulled back deeper, but once we found them they were hungry! Careful at the ramps. With low water, launching is a little wonky and having to back down farther is concerning if your axles falls off the end of the concrete pad.

I tried to launch @ River Bend Park in Cusseta last weekend. I saw two guys in a jon boat trying to push away from the dock with an oar. Immediately drove to Florence Marina State Park, and could see that the water on Eufaula was down at least 5 feet.

It's a lake with many water hazards at full pool. I will stay away for the few months it will take to complete the repairs and let the corps fill the lake to normal pool. It's scary dangerous right now.

Drove 100 miles to West point lake the same day. Launched at noon, but was unconcerned that I might tear my lower unit off ...
    Craig

2018 Bass Cat Margay
    150 HP Mercury Four Stroke

15. Member
    Coming down 11-11. Any updates on the dam repairs? As far as hazards is there an area of the lake worse than others?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 618PRO View Post
    Coming down 11-11. Any updates on the dam repairs? As far as hazards is there an area of the lake worse than others?
    They originally said 6~8 weeks from the initial draw down. Of course we've had a TON of weather systems move through that area both before and after the scheduled date. Took them a while to draw down.

As for which area... Basically, anywhere from West Point south to the dam. Eufaula is one of those lakes, even when full pool, if you get outside the channel markers you'll likely hit something. I'm saying it'll be 50' inside the channel, and outside JUST ONE BOAT LENGTH it'll be 5'~6'. There are stumps EVERYWHERE.

Tone357 marshalled down there during the Elite and said his pucker factor was off the charts in all three boats he rode in. None of them cared AT ALL about the channels, the took the most direct line, and the maps were RED the entire week!

FYI, the channel swings like a sidewinder snake. Lake might be a mile wide in places and the channel will literally swing from one bank to the other. Travelling a straight line will literally be 25% as far as staying in the channel from what I've seen. (In what little area of the lake I've been in.)
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 618PRO View Post
    With the draw down stay in the channels at all times. When the water is at normal pool if you know the lake you can run outside the channels no problem. But right now I wouldn't.

18. Member
    So I was considering fishing a lake I’ve never seen this month. Probably for a couple weeks and through thanksgiving. Should I not consider Eufaula right now? I don’t mind going slow...

19. Member
    I think it has to be more than a 3' drop. These are pictures from my Dad's place on the lower end by the damn on Eufaula. These were taken early October. He said it was still down as of last week when he went back up there.

20201010_070025_resized_3.jpg20201010_070021_resized_4.jpg

2015 Nitro Z-9
    Mercury 250 Pro-XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex MSI I-pilot link
    Humminbird 9 Mega SI at Console and Bow

20. Member
    Looking for a place to take a trip for this upcoming week. Is it unsafe? I don’t mind going slow..... Also, where’s the best campground?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast