Thread: Chautauqua

Chautauqua

I hope to get a little help from those that have fished Chautauqua. I've never been there but I've heard so much about it that a buddy of mine and I plan on going up sometime late this month or early next month. I'll be fishing out of my buddies boat, so the number of rods I'll be able to bring will be limited to 6, maybe 7 rods, and a limited amount of tackle as well. For those that have fished the lake, if you were limited like I will be, what rods would you take, and what kind of tackle would you be bringing?

Also I read the thread concerning the algae bloom. Any info on that and if it's something I will need to worry about when I go up there in a couple weeks? Oh and if you don't mind, just some general information about which end of the lake you would be fishing. North or South?

All responses will be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    You should be fine with the algae blooms by then. Right now the south end is solid green, the north usually avoids the blooms for the most part.

Either basin has good fish. North is deeper, south is shallow. As for rods, I would throw whatever you have the most confidence in. There is no secret to the lake, fishes like all the other grass lakes. Crankbait, spinnerbait, worm, jig, flipping, topwater. Weeds will likely be dying off and some of the docks will be pulled, which may help to concentrate them on the remaining docks/weed beds depending on what the weather has in store.

3. Member
    germs07, thanks a lot for the information. Especially the part about the north end not suffering as much from the algae bloom. I was figuring weeds were going to start to die back that time of year, so I'm thinking based on what you said about the algae blooms, the north end may be the best place to look for deeper healthier weeds.

I'm really looking forward to heading up there. I've heard a lot about the lake over the years, and looking at some tournament results, it appears to have a lot of good fish. Of course as with anywhere else, you're going to have to find them. Really looking forward to it.

Thanks again for the info. I truly appreciate it.

4. Member
    No problem. Let me know if you have any more questions. Be happy to help.

5. Member
    Well, it looks like my buddy and I will be heading up on the 25th of this month and fishing on the 26th and 27th. If we get up there early enough on Friday we'll probably go out and do some scanning with the side imaging. If anyone has fished the lake recently would you mind sharing what kind of water temps you're seeing and what kind of water clarity you're finding? I would definitely appreciate it.

Also, while both my buddy and I love catching smallmouth, my buddy is a nut about it. Since we're using his boat, we'll probably be chasing smallmouth. Down here in northeast Ohio the smallmouth lakes don't have weeds. The inland lakes as well as Lake Erie are all about finding rock piles or ledges and bars with rock and gravel on them. What kind of stuff would one look for them on at Chautauqua? Any help with general areas to look for them would be greatly appreciated.

6. Member
    it is fishing kinda of tough right now,as is every where else,unfortunatly I don't see it getting better till after you go,the weeds are an issue as they have sprayed and cut most of them,as far as as smallies go I would look at warners bar Victoria bar the crib Lakewood bar your typical rocky areas,i think the window for small is still pretty narrow,first hour last hour if you know what I mean,so don't spend a whole day looking for smallmouth,enjoy some green fish also,if you were to show up the end of October the smallies would be on fire,i havnt been recently but I would imagine temps are still proly in the 70's,need to get them down in the 50's

7. Member
    ammot23, thanks a lot for your response. That is some great stuff you provided me and I appreciate it big time !!! I've been looking at a map of the lake on Navionics Web App, trying to figure out where the spots you mentioned are. Kind of figuring Victoria bar is pretty much on the west side of the lake a little southwest of Long Point, and that Warners bar is one of he points down near Goose Creek close to Warner Bay on the west side. The others ones I've been trying to research and not having a lot of luck. I really hate to ask, because I always do my own work. But this circumstance is different. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive for me, and other than the help you and germs07 have provided, the guys that I know who have been there are either being really tight lipped, or they don't know either.

Just a general part of the lake and what they're near would help a ton. I don't want GPS co ordinates. If we can get in a general area we should be able to find them. Also ........ looking at the Navionics map I am thinking that long drop in the northwest section of the northern basin looks like it could be promising, if not for smallmouth, then maybe some largemouth that aren't dock fish. Just thinking out loud.

Anyhow, I really really appreciate the help. I've been watching the weather for Jamestown and it looks like it might be knocking the water temp down pretty quickly. I doubt it will hit the 50s you mentioned, but if it continues, it could get close. Thanks again for the help kind sir!!

8. Member
    warners would be on the opposite side of long point theres a beach house and a swimming area,but the buoy line is kindof an L shape just work that bouyline that runs perpendicular to the shore be careful on the inside of the bouys it can get really shallow real quick,that area you speak of in the north west corner,some people due well there,i have never had much luck the crib and Lakewood bar are in the south end,there are 2 shoals,the one further north is the crib,the one further south is grass island,(not really an island)Lakewood bar would be on the west shore just north of those,its a long bar that runs a ways into the lake it runs south to north,in front of smith boys marine id concentrate in that 8 ft range,use your typical stuff some top water in the am ,tubes small swimbaits senkos that type of stuff

Ammot23 has gave ya a bunch of good info I will say that on the South end the smallmouth can be mixed right in with the largemouth so if there on the bars you may catch both.

10. Member
    ammot23 .... you are the man !!! You have no idea how much I appreciate the information you've provided me. I figured we'd be going up there blind, but with this kind of specific information, the blinders are off. Thank you !!!

And Ranger487, You aren't kidding about the info ammot23 gave me. Great stuff. And thanks for your input as well. I like it when you don't know what to expect when you first set the hook. Just checked the weather and it is looking awesome this coming weekend. I'm psyched !!!

Thanks again you guys. And ammot23, once again VERY much appreciated!!!