Smartcraft Alarm Question

I have a 2003 Mercury 150 Hp EFI. Recently the alarm for water in the fuel sounded. Never had this problem in 17 years. Took off the water separator and sure enough, there was water in the fuel. Emptied the separator, filled with new gasoline and reinstalled. Started the motor and went less than 50 yards and the alarm sounded again. Can’t be more water that quickly can it? Is there a reset on the smart craft panel that needs to be reset? Suggestions?

2. Member
    Well, I took off the separator and it did have water in it. I re-installed it with clean gasoline and ran the boat around the lake a few minutes with no alarm. Therefore, there is no reset. If there is water, you get the alarm. No water, no alarm. Hopefully, I’ll get out fishing this evening so I can run the motor some more to see if I still have water in my fuel tank.

3. Member
    no reset, and yes it could be mo water that quick
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    OK, I went out last evening and fished 4 different areas on the lake meaning I had to run the motor a number of times. The good news - No alarms! The bad news - One bass in the boat. Question? Where did this water come from? Never had this problem in 17 years until now. Bad supply of gasoline? Condensation over the years? I'm just curious.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Had to enter through the fuel fill or the vent.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor