2002 Mercury 125 ELPTO WOT issue

2002 125 ELPTO S/N: 0T462030

Having an issue where at wide open throttle my butterflies are slightly off. #2 butterfly is open perfectly flat. #1 looks like 90-95% open. The other two carbs seem close to flat.

I have done the link and sync by the book 2+ times and everything is running great except this issue at wide open throttle. You can hear something is off when I open it up all the way since it wont really clear out and run. up to about 4k RPMs everything is fine.

I have attached pictures of the throttle link rod that links all the carbs together and this is what I have traced the issue back to since you can see the rod flexed at WOT only.
    This link rod is brand new as I thought it might be the issue and replaced it.
    Any other ideas on what to check or what could be causing this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    will plate open 100 % if unhooked from link,think you have other problem though
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

what kind of problem are you having with WOT?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    will plate open 100 % if unhooked from link,think you have other problem though
    Yes it does open fully flat, or a little past actually until it hits butterfly stop.

Quote Originally Posted by straffordengineer View Post
    The boat used to run 40-45mph at about 5200ish rpm. I discovered the linkage was all out of wack and the butterflies would open past WOT, i.e. past 90 degrees. I went through and re-did the link and sync and got the idle and timing back to the correct factory settings and the boat would only run about 33-35 at 4700-4800 and it sounded kinda rough after about 4400 RPMS. that's how I discovered the #1 carb not opening fully and the link rod bending slightly.
    Not sure how else to describe the issue.
    Last edited by Preston398; 09-08-2020 at 02:56 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by straffordengineer View Post
    +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

The only reason that would cause the linkage rod to flex is the carb is binding up and not rotating. You indicated that the carb will open 100% if you open it manually. Therefore, I don't think you have a linkage issue unless you are not doing the link-n-sync correctly. A carb that opens 90 to 95% is essentially at WOT anyway. There is not much change from 90% to 100%. I think something else is causing your WOT problem.