2001 Champion 196 console electronics mounting HELP!

I have two Raymarine Element 12 in size. I am putting one on the console and the other one at the bow. Trying to find out what works best at the console in a Ram style mount that will work with this 12 inch Raymarine unit. Basically, I would like any input of size of mount, height, width, etc. Any pics of setups would really HELP! Thanks in advance. First upgrade in electronics since the boat was new. I'm open to all suggestions!

I'll take a pic of the Balzout mount at the console on my 196 and post it ASAP.

Here are a couple of pics. Don't pay attention to the base. I did it this way to cover up a mistake I originally made with the Ram mount to re-use the holes. The standard round Balzout mount will work fine and mount within the console and not have to connect to the gunwhale.

IMG_0062.jpgIMG_0063.jpg

4. Member
    Thanks for posting those pics. Is the rectangle base plate the one that comes with that mount ? Is it attached with 4 screws/bolts ? One in each corner ? Do you like it to the right of the console as opposed to behind the steering wheel. I just posted another thread regarding this same issue for my 210 and I am having a challenge deciding which of the 2 locations I would prefer to mount my unit. It will be a 12" Garmin.
    GETFISHED !!!

No, I ordered the rectangle base plate special due to my previous mistake with the Ram mount. It's mounted with two screws into the gunwhale and two bolts into the console. I prefer this location, but will also mount a small Striker unit where my 1240A is now, at some point in the future so I can look straight ahead to see depth at speed.

6. Member
    I also use the Balzout mount but I used the round base instead. It has the same hole pattern as a RAM ball mount so no extra drilling required.

When I upgraded electronics (Lowrance 12 to 16) the RAM would not hold the unit. Balzout mount has been awesome so far......
    2007 Champion 200 DC Elite

7. Member
    I'm another balzout believer, I used the round base on the side of the console where my ram mount once was, I did cut a piece of cutting board and put it under the fiberglass to provide extra support. On the front deck I used the Bullet base to fit between my foot pedal recess and the front of the boat.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

8. Member
    Thank you to all that responded! I've decided to go with the Balzout round base for the console and a Dek it mount for the bow. Are there any special things I will need to know about installing the Dek It mount ? Thanks!

9. Member
    Easy install for the Dek it. Access is thru the front panel.
    2007 Champion 200 DC Elite

10. Member
    Use stainless bolts and stainless nylock nuts with fender washers as opposed to using screws.
    GETFISHED !!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Use stainless bolts and stainless nylock nuts with fender washers as opposed to using screws.

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Agreed. And also remember to put a little anti-sieze compound on the threads before you run the stainless Nylock nuts down...ESPECIALLY if you're going to use a power tool such as a small impact driver or ratchet to run them down!!

13. Member
    Thank all you guys who replied! Much Appreciated!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    Agreed. And also remember to put a little anti-sieze compound on the threads before you run the stainless Nylock nuts down...ESPECIALLY if you're going to use a power tool such as a small impact driver or ratchet to run them down!!