Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Gun Got Away?

What gun were you drooling over and when you finally committed to getting it, POOF, it was gone?!

Local Cabela's has a Winchester 101 Diamond Grade 4 barrel skeet set for $1,899.00, I finally decided to go get and and it was POOF!

Many years ago I was on the fence about getting an Uzi pistol. I didn’t and now I wish I had

3. Member
    Most recent was a Colt single action 45.

4. Member
    My gun buying habits have changed over time.

In my 20's and 30's, I purchased lower end guns, basically what I could afford or if I found something that was a good deal.

Nowadays, I only buy the gun I WANT. I can afford to buy better quality guns now, No more buying the lower tier guns or something just because it was a good price or cheap. If its not the gun I want, it don't matter what price is on it, Im not purchasing it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    What gun were you drooling over and when you finally committed to getting it, POOF, it was gone?!

Local Cabela's has a Winchester 101 Diamond Grade 4 barrel skeet set for $1,899.00, I finally decided to go get and and it was POOF!
    Just plain doesn't happen these days although in my younger days I did a lot of trading and wish I had some of those back. Haven't let anything go for probably 30 years or so now that I've gotten older and wised up.

6. Member
    I bought my 1st handgun as a birthday present to myself when I turned 21. While looking at different guns the store owner said he had to show me something he took on a trade. It was one of the original AutoMag .44 semiautomatic handguns in the wooden display case like the one in the Eastwood movie but with a shorter barrel. He offered it to me for 3k but I barely had enough for a mid range gun. I ended up buying a West German made Sig 226.

7. Banned
    Had a Remington 3200, 28" barrels, long forcing cones, both barrels ported, Skeetmaster tube set for 20,28, and .410, all in an fitted Anvil case, Quit shooting skeet and sold it for 1200 bucks. The guy I sold it to hit a rough spot and offered to sell it back for a grand, but I was shooting Trap by then and had no use for it. Wish I still had that gun...

8. Banned
    Had a single stack stainless 9MM S&W when I was a young man. Don't even remember the model number, but it was my first handgun. Needed money to fix my car, so I sold it to dad for $200. In a few weeks, I scraped up the $200 to get it back and he had already sold it to someone else. Probably the only one that really "got away" from me.

Had a Ruger Old Army black powder wheel gun. 7-1/2 in. barrel. Bougth it when I was 17. That thing would shoot. Showed up several detectives one day at the shooting range. They all emptied their firearms at a veggie can that was hanging from a baffle on a string. I pulled out the ol smoke stick and made that can fly around. It was also prone to hit'n milk jugs at 100 yrds. Traded it one day at a gun shop for 60 bucks worth of reloading supplies. I have regretted it many times since.

10. Member
    760 remington pump in 300 savage. Man that thing was a tack driver !! Pretty much a 308 (used to use necked down 308 brass to reload) without the kick of a 308. Killed many deer with that thing. During a divorce had to sell it (and many more) My god wish still had it but glad got rid of her ! LOL
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

11. Member
    I traded off a guy a 7mm mag custom on a how's action with a hart barrel. I still regret that one.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

12. Member
    I purchased a new Sako Finnbear 7mm Mag in 1971 at the Ramstein Rod & Gun Club. Gave a little over a $100 for the gun as it was on sale and an additional 10% off for Christmas. Had the gun for several years after coming home but wound up trading it to a friend and always regretted it. Finally had the opportunity to get it back, it won't leave my possession again.

Best buddy while in the Army won a raffled off Parker Hale .223 at the same Rod & Gun Club. We wore that thing out at the range on Uncle Sam's expired ammo.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GM482V View Post
    Most recent was a Colt single action 45.
    Me too, now you need to take a second mortgage on your house to get one.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

14. Member
    My dad was a gun collector. When he passed mom said each son could pick one gun and the rest to auction. I took his S&W 1006 10mm. Fantastic pistol. Later on mom found a revolver I bought for dad at Christmas. I paid $45 for it. It was a Colt Detective Spec. in .38 in mint condition. She gave that one to me also.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsnags View Post
    My dad was a gun collector. When he passed mom said each son could pick one gun and the rest to auction. I took his S&W 1006 10mm. Fantastic pistol. Later on mom found a revolver I bought for dad at Christmas. I paid $45 for it. It was a Colt Detective Spec. in .38 in mint condition. She gave that one to me also.
    The ones that got away at auction that I could not afford.

I worked at a gun store for several years, we had a fantastic selection of guns. On slow nights, I would wipe down the guns, and shoulder handle them. We had a Sako that was just beautiful, Palm swell on the grip, it just felt prefect. I was on the rack for a long time because it was 30-06, and the Sakos we sold seemed to be in the mag. Cals. But it was really a perfect gun. So why it did come home? There was also a model 7 .308 that I loved on the shelf too. Here is the wild thing, the Manager put an Ad in the paper on ST Patrick's day 20% off everything green. I ended up buying a 870 Turkey Special and the model 7, they all had green boxes. The store only marked up 15% on guns, that manger was fired, we had a line that day selling Remington, one of the regulars who knew gun prices put the word out and the people came we sold most our stock. So as I recovered from my purchases the sako was sold. I contemplated ordering one. Note I spent more working there, then I ever made! You keep picking up something, eventually it comes home.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    I worked at a gun store for several years, we had a fantastic selection of guns. On slow nights, I would wipe down the guns, and shoulder handle them. We had a Sako that was just beautiful, Palm swell on the grip, it just felt prefect. I was on the rack for a long time because it was 30-06, and the Sakos we sold seemed to be in the mag. Cals. But it was really a perfect gun. So why it did come home? There was also a model 7 .308 that I loved on the shelf too. Here is the wild thing, the Manager put an Ad in the paper on ST Patrick's day 20% off everything green. I ended up buying a 870 Turkey Special and the model 7, they all had green boxes. The store only marked up 15% on guns, that manger was fired, we had a line that day selling Remington, one of the regulars who knew gun prices put the word out and the people came we sold most our stock. So as I recovered from my purchases the sako was sold. I contemplated ordering one. Note I spent more working there, then I ever made! You keep picking up something, eventually it comes home.
    If that question was for me. The friend I made the trade with was the type to tire of a gun when the new wore off. I knew that and made him promise to give me a shot at it if he decided to get rid of it. He had modified the original stock with engraving and ruined the look to my liking. I have since put a Boyds laminated stock on it and am pleased with the look. Probably won't be much more than a safe queen from this point forward as I don't do much hunting that would require the gun. It took several years but now it's home where it belongs.

18. Member
    They did not get away, they had to leave. I had to sell some of my prized skeet guns back when I was out of work for an extended time frame. Chit happens.

Krieghoff K32 w/K80 adds 28" bbl 12 Clearview choke tubes. Gun was build in 1964. Man that thing swung good and shot like a dream.
    Beretta ASE 90 w/full set of Briley tubes in Nasco case. Never really felt comfortable with it. But, I loved shooting 28ga out of it.
    Browning Special Sporting Golden Clays. Last one I had to let go. It was a beautiful gun and just like the K32, swung like a dream.

Man, I sure miss skeet shooting. But, family needs come first.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

Ruger Model 44
    woulda coulda shoulda for about $500 several years ago.
    now try to find one ?
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

20. Member
    I saw a gold plated baby eagle at gander before the sell-off.. crazy cool gun! I was strapped for fun money from buying a sig 229 the week before. That fine piece is gone forever lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast